Divemaster in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi I am AOW and planning to go to the philippines to take my divemaster in dec-jan, im thinking either puerto galer or malapascua right now can anyone recommend a diveshop and cheap accomodation i'm also open to other suggestions.

Where do you plan to get your cert?
I was in Puerto Galera 2005, and a girl my wife met was working on her Instr. cert, and was spending $180/month on a cabin near Big LaLaguna beach. You can inquire
about your course through Action Divers Dive Puerto Galera, Dive Philippines, Dive Action Divers or Puerto Galera, Philippines. Beach Resorts, Hotels and Scuba Diving Travel Guide and Directory. there are many dive op's in Puerto Galera most can arrange acc.
My wife and I were in Bohol feb. 2008, also many dive op's. great diving at both places. I did see acc. in Bohol for as little as $210/month. :. Philippine Islands Divers - Bohol Divers or for general info, Welcome to Bohol, Philippines

Good luck! you'll have a great time! :D:D:D

Mads, there have been a few topics about this in this forum. Do a quick search to pull them out; it should give you some basic info into this question. Then if you have some more specific questions, fire away!

Cheers!:coffee:

Wow.....you are showing tremendous restraint or you didn't feel like typing it all again!! LOL

Wow.....you are showing tremendous restraint or you didn't feel like typing it all again!! LOL

Nah, it's just that I'm not at work right now so I don't have time to spare...:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Just kidding!:D

Just thought it would be good for him to learn the search function (IF he doesn't know it already) because it would be usefull to find other usefull info about his project as well!

Mads, at the very least, let us know more precisely what you are looking for as a DM course and what are your future projects for this (do you want to become a professionnal, or just do the course for the knowledge?). The more you tell us about yourself and what you are looking for, the better we can help!

Spoken like a true veteran!!!

I can recommend Capt'n Gregg's in Sabang Beach/Puerto Galera for both cheap, comfortable accomodation, good diving and learned instruction - Chuck Driver & Mark Cox will be happy to oblige

hey sorry about my last post.
I hope to get to a place thats laid back but still not too few divers so I will learn a lot.
Right now I'm leaning toward malapascua and thresher diver with their 2 month internship course. which sounds like a good deal to me, but can't find anyone who did that course and I am wondering if they are good enough to teach, and would like to hear from anyone who have done the DM course from thresher diver.

hope to hear from you.

Mads, I was also considering doing my DM in Malapascua, but changed my mind. From what I'd heard (because I've never been to Malpascua), the client turnover wasn't as great as places like Puerto Galera which is a very diver oriented destination. Which ultimately can mean less exposure to the real dive industry aspect of the course. In the end, doing it in PG was a great decision and I leanred a lot, dived in a great variety of conditions and gained a lot of experience. This said, if Thresher divers are quite busy at the time you are there, you might get all the industry exposure and diver experience you need!

I think it also depends a lot on what you are looking for in the course: working in the dive industry (in which case the experience and contacts you make during your course are crucial), or just doing it for personal experience (in which case it's not as important).

Personally, had I wanted to work in the industry, I would have chosen to do the course at home in the cold (brrrrr!:depressed:). But that wasn't why I was doing the course...

Anyways, just food for thought!

I am doing my DMT in Sabang right now. Sabang is a great choice because it offers more variety then anywhere I have been diving before. Wrecks, Macro, Big Stuff, Super Drifts, Tech- They got it all, right here.

I am doing my coarse at Dive Dojo. I can highly recommend it to you. You can learn a ton here, and I was very happy with my choice.

There are many good dive shops here and you can easily spend a day talking to people and find a great shop.

I also used this website to help find a dive center for my DMT, you probably find my old thread reguarding my coarse...

Hope that helps a bit....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom