Suunto Gekko

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

askdjasd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thoughts please.

Considering picking it up.

it would be my first computer and so far the reviews are good.
No nitrox.. the deepest i'd ever go with it is probably 80-90'

I would avoid buying any nitrox computer. Many people who think they will never go nitrox end up with it at some point. Now, if you can get it for $50-$100 or something, then go for it.

But according to suunto, gecko is a nitrox computer...

I like mine a lot. I just bought it last spring replacing a Uwatec after the battery died.

The manual was very clear, the functions of the computer likewise, I found it very easy to read underwater and could hear the safety stop alarm easily. The water activation always worked because most dives I forgot to start it on the boat. (didn't realize it until a couple days later)

Downside is that it doesn't have a backlight if you night dive. But you can "charge" it with a good divelight and it glows for a couple of hours minimum.

You can download/review the user's guide here: http://www.aqualung.com/technical_library/Gekko_manual_en_2e271.pdf

Oh and one more thing, assuming you dive dry up there, the strap is long enough for a good-sized gorilla's wrist.

I like mine as well. I have used it for about 6 years, replaced the battery once, and it does do nitrox. If I had to replace it, I would probably get another. It works quite well for the type of diving that I do.

excellent.. seems to be well liked throughout divers. I will order it today.

Thanks!

I've got a wrist mount and a console unit and no problems with either so far. Very easy computers to use.

I used to have one and I liked it a lot but I would strongly recomend that you pick up a DSS bungie wrist mount for 15-20 bucks. They make a huge difference in the ease of use of a wrist mount computer. In fact, when I upgraded from my Gekko (to a N2ition) the availability of a bungied wrist mount was a litmus test.

Just curious....how does changing it to a bungee make it easier? The band it comes with seems pretty simple to me.

I have had mine for awhile and its a great computer and will do more than what you will probably ever use..I prefer a console rather than a wrist model, especially on boat dives and wreck dives..wrist models can get hit a lot and go through a lot of screen protectors, but that is a personal choice..you definitely cant go wrong with the computer though..enjoy

Just curious....how does changing it to a bungee make it easier? The band it comes with seems pretty simple to me.
If you are wearing gloves, esp. thick gloves, it's easier to slide on a bungie than work a standard watch strap. Also, a standard watch strap can break or come "undone" a lot easier than a correctly done bungie mount. I know a guy who says he has found all kinds of strap-based wrist computers on the bottom - but never a bungied one.

I'll second the bungie mount suggestion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom