Audible ascent rate alarms? Cheapest Computer with same?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beanojones

Contributor
Reaction score
Audible ascent rate alarms? Cheapest Computer with same?

In looking around for small rental fleet computers, it seems that audible ascent rate alarms would be useful. Any ideas on that? Can they be used for OW students without being driven insane with the beeping?

Assuming that these alarms are useful and practical, what's the cheapest computer with them? (Wrist mount).

My gekko has an ascent alarm. I have heard it go off a couple of times in warm water. When cold water diving, I can recall seeing the "slow" warning, but I'm not sure that I heard the beep (due to wearing a hood). When diving with a group, you may hear each others' alarms, leading to some confusion.

I think that it's a great dive computer. I've been doing more night dives lately, and the lack of a backlight is mildly frustrating. It does have a glow-in-the-dark background, but it seems to take forever to charge up. Still, I would highly recommend it.

My Atmos2 has an audible alarm. I live in San Diego and always dive with a hood. The first, last and only times I heard the alarms was while diving in Hawaii, sans hood. (I had set the "max dive time" to 55 mins, since I'd never had a dive last that long in San Diego. I had a nice relaxing 65 minute dive in Kona :)

I've heard from other local divers that they can't hear alarms while wearing hoods. Not good or bad, just something to consider.

I never even thought about that hood factor. (The coldest place I have ever dove is Hawaii. The water there is freezing.) I wear Lycra hoods to protect against stings, but..

My experience with both of my computers was that I had to train myself to listen for the noises, the first time I heard each of them I didn't recognize what it was. I doubt most OW students would even notice unless you can find something really loud.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom