Sogod Bay travel information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nishan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm planning a trip with a few friends to Sogod Bay next April and trying to finalize dates based on travel options. Planning to fly into Cebu on Silk Air and would like to know the following:

1. Should I get the fast ferry to Ormoc City or the normal ferry to Hilongos (these two have the best departure times to connect with the flight in to Cebu).
2. How reliable are the ferry services. Trying to decide if to take the morning ferry to catch the late afternoon flight or get to Cebu the previous evening.
3. Planning to stay at Peters Dive Resort and can ask them to pick us up at the ferry terminal. But does anyone have an idea of how much it would cost for a taxi/minivan from Ormoc or Hilongos to Padre Burgos?
4. Is April crowded in terms of tourists? Looking at Sogod Bay for a quiet, off the beaten path holiday with good diving.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Nishan

1. i think Hilongos is closer to padre burgos so van may also be cheaper.
2. not sure about how reliable ferries are but it would be safer to go to cebu the day before in case there is bad weather on your day of departure. you wont be diving on the last day anyway so you could look around cebu instead.
3. no taxi there. i dont know if there are van rentals there since we also had sogod bay scuba resort arrange for our land transfer.
4. april is off season for most tourists from europe. not many locals go to sogod so it should be quiet there. unless you're going during Lent/holy week.

Thanks Jigo!

Yes Hilongos is closer and I agree probably best to get to Cebu early in case of delays. I looked up Cebu on the internet and there seem to be some interesting places to visit. I wish I could stay longer and explore more of the Philippines but time is limited on this trip. Guess I'll have to go again :)

I will be there around Lent. Anyway might be also a bit better to see some local culture. As long as I dont have heaps of divers on the dive sites I dont mind a crowded ferry ride too much. Cant be much worse than buses here in Sri Lanka!

Nishan

Here's a map of the area Cebu to Leyte (thanks to Chip104)..
Some of us made the trip last Feb 2008
ac024e2d.jpg

"Itinerary:

1. Flight from Manila to Tacloban. ~1 hour. ~1.5K-2.4K PHP one way trip. We took Cebu Pacific. (Blue solid line)
2. Land transfer from Tacloban to Sogod Bay. ~3 hours. ~3K PHP one way. Resort arranges. (Pink dotted line in Leyte)
3. Land transfer from Sogod Bay to Bato. ~1.5 hours. ~1.5K PHP one way. Resort arranges.

from Bato you can also get to Cebu City (What enrique and Bryan did). (Yellow dashed line)"

Thanks!

The map is really useful. Its easier for me to fly to Cebu in terms of flight connections. Will probably take the ferry to Hilongos or Bato. I contacted the resort and they said they can pick up from the ferry pier.

The PPD forums are some of the best for getting great travel advise. Got a lot of info looking through old threads as well.

First trip to the Philippines and looking forward to it. Have got Tubbataha Reef on my list for the future!

Cheers,

Nishan

Nishan, make sure you post a trip report (with lots of photos) in the forum. We'd love to hear about your adventure. As for diving in Sogod, you won't be disappointed.

Hi, I've done the Cebu-Sogod Bay trip countless times...

Taking the fast ferry to Ormoc and taxi to Sogod will cost more but will be faster overall, my experience is that they are more reliable, nicer boats. There are taxis and minivans for hire in Ormoc but I would arrange with the resort to organize in advance. On the return, for a late afternoon flight out of Cebu I would probably take a Bato/Hilongos morning ferry, check schedules at Schedule.ph... HOWEVER since you're traveling during Holy Week you need to be aware that none of the ferries will run on Good Friday and traveling in general can be more challenging that week, especially in the provinces. Also the ferry schedules may change for the Holy Week holidays. April is a great time to dive Sogod, should have great vis and there's a better chance for whale sharks.

Looked at schedules and Supercat Ferry to Ormoc works well with my flight. Either way the resort has said they will pick us up. Have decided to go to Cebu the day before my flight. Gives me time in case of delays and also a chance to Cebu a bit.

Yes April seems a good time from what I have been reading. Hoping to do some photography and good diving, with or without the whale sharks. Have heard good things about Napantaw wall and Max Climax. A guy from my dive club had some amazing whale shark encounters in November 2006 and also liked some of the reefs.

Again, thanks everyone for all the useful info and advice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom