Dec trip is coming ....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kosmonooit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Greetings all,

I have a three week trip to Phils coming up soon, landing on 17th Dec, diving is just part of the trip there, although its that that makes it really all worthwhile. I am coming from South Africa with Singapore Air, which I have done a few times now and they have always been great. Just a few things I am hoping to get some advice on please:

Between Xmas and NY I will be in Boracay, yea its cheesy and overdeveloped but you can fly in and out, and if others are travelling with you its makes it easy, minimises the 'headache' complaints and you must admit its a mother of a beach, not forgetting Jonahs Shakes. I will be staying up that way at Las Brisas, whats the dive shop recommendations like up the north end of the beach, past BS3? I would prefer one-on-one with DM or very small groups. I will be bringing my own BCD, Octo and wet suit. Looking to do some adventure dives, even a day trip. Seem to remember a good drift dive up north? And Bat Cave?

I will also have a bit of time for solo backpack travel, might make it down to Subic is its possible to dive the York. I have dived most of the other sites there. Is there any recommendations up north western Luzon ie La Union, 100 Islands etc? Otherwise its going to be PG again, I had such a good time diving last time I was there in April, I stayed on the Big La Laguna side and will head back there, anything else in that region I am keen to hear about. From what I understand PG is unique is that there is a lot of nutrients arriving from deep currents hence lots of plankton and others up the food chain.

Other questions I have is:

- Is it worth getting a DAN Membership? I do believe in insurance :eek: is it also a decent travel insurance?

- Last time I was there in Phils in April this year I did the PADI Advanced Open Water and Nitrox courses, we sent the paper work to Australia , but I never got the cards back in the post, still have the temp ones although I do have the Open Water one still that I got here, but what to do about the others that never arrived? Replacement cards are expen$ive :( Is it worth the hassle to persue this?

Thanks.

PG is a good choice.
Your experience level is not sufficient for the Subic dive
DAN is always a good idea
If you need to verify your diving certifications then any PADI Instructor can verify your certifications online

Definetly go for DAN! Decompression chamber treatment is expensive over there and you definetly want to be covered if anything happens. Imagine if you have to be heli-evacked to a deco-chamber... $$$$$$$ You let your dive operator know you have DAN coverage and that way there should be no hesitation on what to do if there is an accident...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom