Winair weight restrictions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwesler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone know of the baggage restrictions flying from St. Maarten to Saba? I typically use a Pelican 1650 for my gear...

Ken

Ken:
Not sure about weight limit, but as Winair is the best way to get to Saba (excluding the ferry system), I'm sure they are used to all us divers & our gear intensive nature. You may want to check w/ either Winair or the shop you are diving with, I'm sure they are familiar with the restrictions.

Who are you diving with & where are you staying? I've wanted to go back since my first visit in 2001, but something always comes up.... Enjoy, the diving is great, the people wonderful, and have a snoot full of Saba spice for me!
Linda

I travel with a Pelican 1650, and it is on the edge as far as weight goes...

We have not finalized our plan, but looks like diving with Sea Saba and staying at Juliana's

Ken

Sorry I didn't see your message sooner! I have not had any trouble with weight restrictions on WinAir the two times we were there. We went about a year ago and then again last month. I carry at least 40lbs of camera gear and another 30 or so of just dive gear. Maybe another 30 for non dive gear.
And yes we dive with Sea Saba. They are one of the best operations we have dove with. (My wife and I have been diving together for 18 years.)

We'll arrive on Saba June 14 and be back home on June 21. We're diving with Saba Deep, couldn't get Sea Saba to return my calls and a friend recommended Saba Deep. They've been really good about answering emails and sending pictures I asked for. We've reserved the private villa at the Gate House, we're going to spoil ourselves! It's really not that expensive, if anyone wants to join us PM me, the more the merrier!
Ber :bunny:

Yes, Winair has weight restrictions; sometimes enforced, sometimes not...here's what we tell clients:

Weight Restrictions... Windward Island Airways " Winair" has an official weight restriction of 20kg per person (44 lbs.); however, there is an additional 10kg (22 lbs) allowance for diving equipment. If you are ticketed through to Saba on USAir, Delta, Air France or KLM, the luggage restrictions of those airlines apply. American Airline passengers must re-check bags in St. Maarten. Some suggestions:

o take your regulator in your carry-on luggage
o minimize the extras (we sell great t's, tanks, shorts, the works :)
o smile and be polite at the St. Maarten Winair counter--
remember, you get more bees with honey
o put essentials (medications, a change of underwear, a prescription dive mask, etc.) in your carry-on luggage in case your checked luggage is delayed.

Hope this info is helpful...taken from http://www.seasaba.com/NewWeb/TravelTips.htm#Baggage

Thank you so much for contacting me. I believe now that it was a "middle man" problem that kept us from getting in touch. I appreciate the time you've taken to respond to my concern about being overlooked :)
Ber :bunny:

Back
Top Bottom