S&P Manuals are coming! Korea on board!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A phone call to Tom Leaird yesterday resulted in my getting the info that three people were working on putting manuals and materials into envelopes as we were talking. One had my label on her finger as we were speaking. Things are getting done people! Also 48, yes 48, instructor renewals were received yesterday from our contingent of Korean instructors.! Welcome to you.:lotsalove: ALso cards are printing. You will have a new number. They start at 100 and go up. I'll post more on that later. The new system as explained to me is very streamlined and efficient! On line processing is in the near future as well for your students!:D

In other news we have two Jamaican instructors in the pipeline. I'm going to Montego Bay in April:D for a few days with my wife and hope to hook up with them! I'm also waiting on details on an Ice Diver course to be held in Indiana in Feb! I'll post on that as I get more info.

For all of you who are crossing over and renewing we thank you. Your involvement will insure our success. Spread the word. There's room for many more.

We are also looking for suggestions from you, our instructors, on ways to contact resorts and dive ops around the world to insure that your students have no problems with their certifications issued by SEI. We are all aware that some spots have questioned cards from large and well-established agencies. That will always happen some place at some time. But we can minimize it by getting the word out. The website is coming very soon and will help. But we want your feedback on other methods to let them know who we are. Send your suggestions to me here via PM or post openly if you like. I'll pass them on for consideration. Many thanks are owed to Tom, Dan, Ken, Thad, and the others who are working so hard for us.

This is your agency. You make it work. You have a say.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Jim Lapenta SEI Instructor

Which specialty classes are planned to be offered? OW, AOW, NAVIGATION, RESCUE, NITROX, MARINE LIFE, NIGHT DIVING, CAVERN ????

The specialty classes are still being reviewed and reworked but Besides OW and advanced the list I have includes Search and Recovery, Public Safety, Rescue and Accident Management, and Nitrox. UW Nav will be offered once it's finished and approved(I'm working on it nearly every day). I know one of Tom's favorites is being done in Feb- Ice Diving. Thinking of taking that one myself! Once the S&P's start arriving I'll be able to go into more detail. The website will also have a list of courses offered once it's up. Be aware that not all instructor's will be able to teach all courses off the bat though. Some specialties will require verification of training and experience to teach them. This is a good thing. You wouldn't take a dry suit or ice course from someone who'e never done either!

This is where instructors, assistant instructors and DM's will be valuable assets as well. Collaborating on developing and reviewing courses that we could offer. I chose the one I did because to me it's a critical skill for anyone who wants to dive with their buddy and not have to rely on a guide for the team. It is especially valuable for anyone who wants to go on to a professional or technical rating as well. And the confidence and skill level improvements that most who receive good training in a Nav class get are well worth it.

I hope this answers your question. Sorry it's not more detailed but I don't want to give the impression that every class will be offered immediately. You can be sure more are coming. They will be announced and released when it's been made certain that the way they are taught and are presented meet the high standards of this organization.

In the past we offered many specialties that were not utilized nor did we have materials for most of them. As a result we have decided to start with a clean slate and offer a suite of basic certification courses along with a limited number of specialties. We are committed to having materials for each course, beginning with instructor guides and Power Point presentations. Some may have DVD materials associated with them and some will also have manuals.

We are currently supporting the following certification levels:

Open water diver (and Junior OW).
Open water plus (former OW II)
Advanced open water diver
Advanced plus diver (former Silver Advanced)
Master diver
Divemaster
Assistant instuructor
Instructor
Instructor trainer
Course Director

Drysuit diver
Nitrox diver
Equipment service
Full face mask diver
Ice Diver
Reef ecology diver
Search and recovery diver (public safety diver)
Diver rescue and accident management (former SLAM)

As the need arises and materials become available we will expand this list. Underwater navigation is a specialty in development, for example.

If you have questions or a desire to work on materials for a specialty course, please contact me.

Dan Marelli
Program Development Director

...I am sure Tom, Dan and the others will do an excellent job. I have sent in my Instructor Trainer renewal and though I primarily now certify NAUI I intend to support the agency wholeheartedly.
Mike

....I lurk. I think you are doing a good job of promoting SEI. I have been in contact with Dan about some of the manual updates and have offered to help in any way I can....plus I decided to finally join in case Walter ever needs backup in a bar fight. I tend to agree with all his posts and I, like most old Y instructors have some bar fighting experience......:cool2:
Mike

I'm glad to know you've got my back, Mike. My materials arrived today, S&P Manuel and brand new c-card with a number I can actually remember.

...yep, my Inst. trainer card came today and though I haven't had time to look over the S and P yet it looks good. I'll probably try and certify some SEI kids next semester in a university class in S and R and Public Safety. We turned out maybe 150 NAUI basic folks this semester, which ended, Thank God , yesterday.
...I figured I'd throw in with you since about every time you post, I'd essentially say the exact same thing. Get up to Morehead City or Beaufort, gimme a buzz.
Mike

Back
Top Bottom