Halcyon Pioner 36 and 45

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uriah

New
Reaction score
How identify Pioner 36 and Pioner 45?
I don't see different between this wings

The primary difference is in the lift capacity of the bladders.

According to Halcyon:

The 36 lbs. wing is designed for use in cold water where heavy exposure protection with steel cylinders is the norm. Bellowed side panels on the 36 lbs. wing increase lift at the waist, improving trim for those wearing heavy weight belts. Like the 27 lbs. wing, the 36 lbs. wing also features a circular buoyancy tube for ultimate stability in the water.

The Pioneer 45 wing is specifically designed for extreme cold water use or where lift must be capable of offsetting unusual amounts of applied ballast. This system is not recommended for typical recreational diving.

I dive a Pioneer 36 as my singles rig with an HP120 and a drysuit. I've also used it with a single stage. There is plenty of lift.

What is your application?

I might add, the 45lb wing is too large for most singles applicatons. You don't want the wing wrapping around your tank ie "the taco effect".

detroit diver once bubbled...
I might add, the 45lb wing is too large for most singles applicatons. You don't want the wing wrapping around your tank ie "the taco effect".

I've never even seen a 45 lb Pioneer. Does it taco?

but I think he wants to know how to visually identify the two wings...

My 36 has a blue pleat...I don't know if the pleat on the 45 is a different color. Some web sites show it as a yellowish color, but that may just be for photographic purposes...

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...

I've never even seen a 45 lb Pioneer. Does it taco?

I haven't either. But most singles setups are either the 27 or 36 lb wing, so the 45 would be way too large. I thought that the 45 was the same size as the 55 (length and width, not depth), but I could be wrong.

I stand corrected. The 45 looks just like the 36. I'm not sure how they get the extra bouyancy, but I'm guessing it's an extra large gusset.

Here's a picture:

http://www.tekdiv.com/BC_Systems.htm

And a quote from the Halcyon site:

The Pioneer 45 wing is specifically designed for extreme cold water use or where lift must be capable of offsetting unusual amounts of applied ballast. This system is not recommended for typical recreational diving.

Seems like a good setup. I just purchased a brand new Dive Rite Classic Wing (59 lbs lift), for my Dive Rite SS Backplate, but I think I like the Halcyon 45 lbs. wing better for my singles.

Anyone got a brand new Halcyon 45 lbs wing, they want to trade with me for my brand new, never been wet, DR Classic Wing?

Jackknife once bubbled...
Seems like a good setup. I just purchased a brand new Dive Rite Classic Wing (59 lbs lift), for my Dive Rite SS Backplate, but I think I like the Halcyon 45 lbs. wing better for my singles.

Anyone got a brand new Halcyon 45 lbs wing, they want to trade with me for my brand new, never been wet, DR Classic Wing?

Why would you want the 45 when even the manufacturer says that it isn't necessary for most singles diving? Seems like overkill to me, unless you are doing the type of diving for which it is recommended.

The 27 or the 36 seems to work fine.

Back
Top Bottom