Lembeh video, this time it works

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GREAT Video!!!!...what sites did you see the Tiger and Harlequin Shrimp at?

I stay in room 5 at Lembeh...really enjoy the place.

Martin,

That was an outstanding video! I loved every bit of it including the soundtrack you chose! There are some wonderful photos in there too. Did you guys use a 60mm or 105mm Macro lens for most of the photos?

You are very lucky not to have your dome smashed by the mantis shrimp. The peacock mantis has the swiftest kick over EVERY other creature on this planet! 23m/sec....about that of a .22 caliber bullet. They have been known to smash the glass tanks of aquariums! There are two kinds. The peacock mantis has a "ball-like" appendage which it uses to lash out and hammer prey with. The giant mantis has a sharp spear appendage and spears its fish instead. (As shown in your EXCELLENT video!)

I took this photo with a Tokina 10-17 Fisheye lens behind an optical glass dome. It was almost touching the shrimp but I felt safe knowing that unlike the peacock mantis, it did not have a hard mallet to smash it in with!....

3042573119_9971d65882_o.jpg

This time it works, it was a big file so could only load it as a MPEG 1. But if you are interested in Lembeh it will give you an idea of the diving there and of course the reefs of Bunaken.

Diving Lembeh and Bunaken, Indonesia on Vimeo

Well here is a HD version of the same video. Diving the waters of Lembeh and Bunaken, Indonesia in HD on Vimeo

I have seen people use mirrors with some of the blennies especially sailfin.
Here's another way to link to Vimeo video's in your post.

[vimeo]2372602[/vimeo]

[vimeo]2374068[/vimeo]

Last edited:
Thanks all, I'll try fancy link next time, Raja Ampat Jan 1st!!!!!

We saw the Harlequin at the Lembeh Resorts house reef on the night dive. They say they see them 60-70% of the time. Just look for the severed starfish arms.:wink:

Don't know the name of the site for the tiger shrimp. They live on a chunk of log and I believe they have been there for quite awhile. All the guides at Lembeh Resort could take you right to them, some did not like that dive because there is not much else in that area.

Back
Top Bottom