BP/Wings vs Back inflate BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetvet

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is not a troll, or an attempt to further aggravate what appears to be a rift in the diving community. The problem is that I dont know, and you guys do, so I'm askin:) .
I have a back inflate BC with 60 pounds of lift. It has a cummerbun, chest strap and 4 D Rings. It is strong and I'm used to it and comfortable in it. It has a optional accessory of a backplate which will allow it to carry twins with straps. Ive been recommended that buying this backplate would be a waste of money, and I should save and buy a BP/Wings and do it right (sorry, had to), rather than replace the set up I will have with the BP/Wings in the future.

I dont understand the benefit of BP wings. As far as I can figgure, the bouyency is the same as a back inflate (thanks SeaJay), and the big difference is minimalism. Please correct me if I am wrong. At the moment I am interested in getting twins so that I can make use of my nitrox cert.......now my available bottom time far exceeds my available gas time on an AL80. Also, I am interested in investigating the tec route, so I would like to get experience with twins.
Thanks for any advice.

Wetvet

Its a good question that is worded well...

In my oh so humble opinion...

Back inflates do single tanks exceedingly well. That you are already comfortable in it speaks volumes for it's continued use with single tanks. Back inflates are more comfortable than a BP and are simply better suited to a single tank situation.

I own an Oceanic Chute II that has an option to allow the use of doubles. I have never used that option, and never will. Doubles (from steel 72s on up) are just too dang heavy to be supported correctly OUT OF THE WATER with anything but a backplate. Underwater the BP is also more secure and tends to manage the weight far better.

So, I have two dedicated BC options that I dive. A back inflate for single tanks (including my HP120s), and a BP/Wings for my doubles. In order to keep consistency though, I have fitted the HP 120s with an H valve, so I almost always have the same reg set up. I hope this helps.

NetDoc wrote...
Back inflates are more comfortable than a BP and are simply better suited to a single tank situation.
How so?

Well, I agree with 1/2 of what Netdoc said-the doubles part. The BP bolted to the twin set is one solid piece-stable and secure both above and below the waterline.

But this is exactly the reason that it is good for singles diving also. It is solid and secure also, and it allows you to dive the same configuration for every type of dive. Same hose placement, same inflator placement, same exhaust placement, same everything. There's no "gee, I wonder where my d-ring is on this rig". It's about muscle memory, and if you dive a BP both ways, there is nothing to change.

and do that job exceedingly well. They are far more comfortable both in and out of the water.

BPs were designed for a double tank configuration and do that job exceedingly well. They support doubles in a way that a singles BC can not.

The "one size fits all" mentality that many BP/Wings owners adopt is fine for them. You can make it work... but the backplate was not designed with singles in mind. That was merely an afterthought.

Since the strongest defense to keep using the BP/Wings setup is consistency, I find it amazing that anyone feels that they are being consistent going from two first stage regulators to just one. And I find it amusing that somehow you see alternating a set of double steel 104s with an AL80 as consistent. The rig behaves totally differently depending on which tank you dive.

But of course... this is my oh so humble opinion. :tease:

NetDoc wrote...
They are far more comfortable both in and out of the water.
Again, how so?

NetDoc wrote...
The "one size fits all" mentality that many BP/Wings owners adopt is fine for them. You can make it work... but the backplate was not designed with singles in mind. That was merely an afterthought.
I've noticed nothing missing in comfort when switching between doubles and singles. Could you elaborate?

NetDoc wrote...
Since the strongest defense to keep using the BP/Wings setup is consistency, I find it amazing that anyone feels that they are being consistent going from two first stage regulators to just one.
That's another reason I prefer to use H-valves with singles.

I would score the comfort of my Chute II as a 10 in or out of the water.

I would score the comfort of my BP/Wings as a mere 9 in the water and a 7 out.

Comfort is a subjective thing, so I am not sure what you want here. Your comfort is not my comfort. However, if you have made up your mind that a BP/Wings are the only thing any diver should ever dive... fine. Just realise that there are many many divers who simply prefer a back inflate BC for a single tank. I am one of them.

Whenever I buy gear... fit and comfort are the two most important attributes (except for wetsuits, where you want tight and hot). Hey, I can't stand how jeans fit me... so thats why I don't even own a pair! Khakis are another thing... I love 'em. Now don't spect me to start wearing jeans just because YOU (or GI3) think they are the only thing to wear.

But of course... this is only my oh so humble opinion... :tease:

NetDoc wrote...
I would score the comfort of my Chute II as a 10 in or out of the water.

I would score the comfort of my BP/Wings as a mere 9 in the water and a 7 out.
Are you intentionally missing the point, Pete? I'm simply asking how your back-inflate is more comfortable than your BP in the water. Which specific factors made the difference?

Comfort is subjective and to each their own.

I have used and owned many bc's of all types. After diving a bp/wing I really hope I never have to use any bc again.

Especially if you wear much exposure protection the bp really helps with trim because by default you have some of the weight up where most need it. True there are all kinds of ways to get the weight where you need it to get trimmed but it's more cumbersome and most don't do it.

After using a Halcyon wing which is designed for a single tank everything else I have ever use feels like your dragging a parachute in the water.

IMO, the back inflates with D-rings put them in the wrong place or almost render them useless by placing a quick release buckle right underneath. That's likely why you see so many with their lights or whatever just dangling. It's just sloppy

how does one quantify "comfort"? It is like trying to describe love... or like. The best I know how to do it is to give them a rating between 1 and 10.

I like the padded straps... I like the pockets... I like the "feel"... I like the cummerbund... I like feeling comfortable... it just plain feels better on my body. I don't mind being perceived as a "sissy" because of it either.

However, I would not like the same BC with doubles on... give me my BP/Wings for that. Not sure what is so hard to comprehend here.

I am happy that you have found nirvana in a BP/Wings. I wouldn't want you to dive any other way than what is comfortable for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom