Planning on ditching the dive computer and moving on with my life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wetsuit 4 life

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Been diving with a computer for almost two years now and have decide that it's no longer needed anymore (I have a fine collection of different tables now).

What I want to know are there other divers moving away from the computer and back to the watch, spg, and depth gage. And are charter companies beginning to require that the divers have a computer with them for the dive.

Thanks

Some are ie the Fling(click link below)--with no computer, you can only do 4 dives-not 5- on day 1.....I would not throw them all away......

Gulf Diving LLC - Welcome!

I have not been on a charter that required a computer but some did require something that recorded max depth. They want to make sure people are not exceeding their level of certification or doing something stupid like going to 130 on ean40 or something.

I now use computers for my basic recreational diving with single tanks but anything beyond that and they go into gauge mode. I will on mixed gas dives (trimix) use a computer (nitek HE) as backup to tables cut on v-planner.

When I go closed circuit it will be with an eCCR so I will again be using computers (vision set plus shearwater).

They are not for everyone and are not for every dive but they can be nice to have and if your comfortable with its use than it can be a good tool.

I'll probably keep the computer for recreational deep dives and for charters when maximizing dive time would be best. But for everything else I'll use the wheel and DCIEM tables.

Do all your dive buddies not use a computer? Its hard to match someone without one. For the technical level diver pushing extremes in depth, time and or gas mixture it may make some sense not to follow a black box algorithm but for a multi-level rec diver I dont see the merit of dumping a computer.

but for a multi-level rec diver I dont see the merit of dumping a computer.

I must say I agree, I dont understand why you would want to limit time using a table on a recreational dive.

Why not just use both.?

I havent been on any charters who demanded a computer yet, but I would say its not far in coming.

Some tropical charters do require computers, but that may not be what you care about. Some of the ones that require them include them for free with the charter, others will rent them.

Some are ie the Fling(click link below)--with no computer, you can only do 4 dives-not 5- on day 1.....I would not throw them all away......

Phew ... that's quite a set of rules ... I don't think that diving with them would be my cup of tea ... they seem to have a lot of rules revolving around depth and decompression status what were made without either much understanding of decompression models or any reference to standards concerning shipboard diving that were developed by experts.

Phew ... that's quite a set of rules ... I don't think that diving with them would be my cup of tea ... They seem to have a lot of rules revolving around depth and decompression status what were made without either much understanding of decompression models or any reference to standards concerning shipboard diving that were developed by experts. (Final Report on Shipboard Scientific Diving, SCIENTIFIC SHIPBOARD DIVING SAFETY: ADDENDUM REPORT, and Proceedings of the AAUS Dive Computer Workshop)

I got to their list of rules by clicking (naturally for me) on a link to:

"Research Services, Boat is available for various research projects, >> More information."

But no information concerning research diving was available, just a set of rules that I'd find unworkable for research operations.

I'll probably keep the computer for recreational deep dives and for charters when maximizing dive time would be best. But for everything else I'll use the wheel and DCIEM tables.

If your dive computer has a GAUGE MODE, you can put it in that, and then it simply records dives, and tells you your MOD, current depth, dive time, and water temp.

DCIEM are nice tables, probably the best. That is a good choice!:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom