Diving Philippines in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba mermaid

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys, I`ll be in the Philippines for some diving, starting with a liveaboad trip to Tubbataha at the end of March, afterwhich I`ll have 6-7 more days for some more diving at other sites, different islands. What would you recommand, bearing in mind my liveaboard starts and ends in Puerto Princesa and my main interest is rich reef life?

Thanks a bunch!
:pinkdolphin:

Welcome to the board. Make sure you fill out the introduction section. Coron would be a good choice for you!

I should be there about the same time, but I haven't decided where I'll be other than Palawan.

WHAT? I'm going to have to PM you on that one.

Welcome to the board. Make sure you fill out the introduction section. Coron would be a good choice for you!

Is it a good time to dive Coron, I noticed all liveaboards are going there either earlier in the year or later so I figured it wasn`t the right time for diving there.
I was under the impression Coron was all about wrecks, which I`m not too keen about, is the reef there all that good?
Lastly, my dive buddy is a novice AOW diver with just a few days diving in the Galapagus, will it be suitable for her? (I have a quite few Red Sea and Tahiland liveaboard trips under my belt).

Thanks again

Oh, how do I fill the introduction section? :confused:

Is it a good time to dive Coron, I noticed all liveaboards are going there either earlier in the year or later so I figured it wasn`t the right time for diving there.
I was under the impression Coron was all about wrecks, which I`m not too keen about, is the reef there all that good?
Lastly, my dive buddy is a novice AOW diver with just a few days diving in the Galapagus, will it be suitable for her? (I have a quite few Red Sea and Tahiland liveaboard trips under my belt).

Thanks again

Oh, how do I fill the introduction section? :confused:
well, it's really hard to top diving in the galapagos....

but yeah - the viz is lower in Coron than other places in the PI. I remember the reefs were so so, but I haven't been in 3 years. The wrecks are great, barracuda lake is surreal, and Gunther's Cathedral is beautiful. The scenery is stunning. If you'll be coming out of Puerto Princesa, Coron accessible by ferry - if you're feeling adventurous the small commuter outriggers run daily, if you want a bit more comfort then the super ferry heads out every sundays.

Another option is to fly back to Manila and head down to Anilao. Anilao is rich in reef life. There's also a small commuter plane that goes from Puerto Princesa to Cebu, so you could potentially dive around the visayas islands as well...depending on how much you're willing to travel (Bohol, Dumaguete, Malapascua).

I'd probably just do Anilao cause it's only a 2.5 hour car ride to/from the airport.

Thanks for the input-great help!
Due to time constrains, I thought of staying within the imaginary line that stretches between Puerto Princesa and Anilao, diving a few dives at Coron and if possible at Apo as well, continuing to either Puerto Galera or Anilao-which ever is best in terms of reef. Does this sound reasonable at all?
Regarding transportation between the islands, how safe are the ferries? Is there a reliable ferry between Coron and PG or Anilao?

Thanks again

Due to time constrains, I thought of staying within the imaginary line that stretches between Puerto Princesa and Anilao, diving a few dives at Coron and if possible at Apo as well, continuing to either Puerto Galera or Anilao-which ever is best in terms of reef. Does this sound reasonable at all?
Regarding transportation between the islands, how safe are the ferries? Is there a reliable ferry between Coron and PG or Anilao?

Thanks again

Apo Reef, if you can make it there from Puerto Princessa, is some of the best diving of the PI (from what I've heard). Right up there with Tubataha! If you can make it, and you have the $$, I'd go for it!

Thanks again
You can try contact Gunther from Discovery Divers. They are based out of Coron. He charters a boat and he usually does a trip from Coron to Apo Reef. Maybe he can work something out for you.

The larger ferries are pretty reliable and relatively safe. The outrigger ones are more adventurous and are reliable...weather permitting. :D

The only ferry I know of runs to/from Manila - Coron - Puerto Princesa. Maybe there's one that goes from PP to Batangas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom