Need help buying a computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Br44

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK this is the situation
i need a basic computer that is reliable and from a good company
i have my eye on two different computers from two different companys
computer A is.... Aeris XR-1 Computer Console
Computer B is.... Suunto "Gekko" Air/Nitrox 2 Gauge Computer Console
the first one cost $274.95 and the second one cost 324.95.
i personally already own the Gekko and i like it.....BUT
the other one is cheaper AND i have a coupon for 25% off
(btw im buying this for a gift for someone else)
anyone who owns the Aeris please tell me if it was a good computer
even more importantly....... can you tell me what features the aeris has and does the Gekko have the same? Does the Aeris have less features? More features? same?
is it a quality computer?

ps
i dont dive nitrox

BR44-
I own a Suunto Mosquito, and my wife has the Suunto Gekko (mosquito numbers are too small for her to read easily). Both are wrist versions and have served us very well. I'm not familiar with the Aeris models, but save yourself some time and possibly money by deciding what features you want and will use. It doesn't really how many features a computer has/doesn't have if you don't use them anyway.

If the Aeris, which is less expensive, has the features you consider important, easy to read screens and is easy to use, go for it unless you get reports of quality issues.

One thing to think about is Nitrox. As you point out you don't currently use it, but if Nitrox is available at a small price difference, it's a good investment. It's probably the most valuable "growth" feature in a computer, and you already have it in your Gekko

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5kaXZlcnNkaXJlY3QuY29tL3Byb2RpbWFnZXMvMTMwMy1ERUZBVUxULW0uanBn==.jpg

I have the Tusa Hunter console but it comes as the IQ-700 wrist mount as well.
We actually have 5 of them. My wife and 3 daughters all have one as well.

I love it because its simple and effective.

In case you didn't know, there is another loooong thread about dive comps. You can find it right here Lots of info on the comps.

Not sure if any cover your 2 but there are other comps people suggest and such. Good read

FYI - I've dived with family members who use Suunto, I personally use Oceanic. When diving exactly similar profiles, my buddies' Suuntos display much more conservative bottom times than my computer. I guess it depends on if that's a positive feature for you.

My question to you: Will you be diving with the lucky gift recipient?

If so, you already own a Gecko and obviously don't hate it. You can show them how to use it. If you are both on the same dive you will have similar profiles. Over the long term, that will save you a lot of angst. Long after a few extra bucks are forgotten, extra convenience will still be paying off.

If you will not be diving with this person, a gift is a gift is a gift. I'm sure they will be very happy with anything you get them, honestly.

you should be able to get that Gekko wrist mount in the 250.00ish range

if you know suunto then another one will be easy to understand as the software is all basically the same. I have a D9 that I bought from from my LDS. I recently bought a Vyper from Liesurepro. Dont worry about Vyper 2 only diff is digital compass which is a gimick anyway (stick to traditional compass) Original Vyper is cheap, has 3 modes Air, Nitrox and Gauge(excellent if you intend to tech dive at any point). Yes Suunto is more conservative than others but this is generally a good thing, particularly in recreational diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom