Do tech divers and cave divers call their backup reg an octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No. They call it a back-up.

There, wan't that easy? :D

No... the derivation of the name "Octopus" is from the appearance of the single first stage with ALL hoses coming off it. Cave divers (on open circuit) have two first stages and the hoses do not present the same "messy" look.

Last edited:
I call mine an albatross ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

well, bob, i guess it *is* around your neck!

that'll teach you to go shooting things.

No idea as I'm neither tech nor cave. But I have switched to Hogarthian, and the regulator around my neck is either my back-up or my secondary. The one in my mouth is my primary, which I understand is where we get the expression "primary donation" to describe the system where the out of air diver takes the regulator in the donor's mouth.

I agree with the comment explaining that "octopus" describes the hideous tangle of extra regulators, consoles, and what not dangling from a single first stage. That being said, the reason I don't use the expression for my back-up regulator is that my back-up is my back-up, it is on a necklace and can't be shared. An "octo" isn't really a back-up because under normal circumstances a diver never breathes their own octo.

Since I sidemount I guess I have two primary second stages,....unless I also have a stage bottle, then three primary second stages. Oh dear no back up. lol It seems terminology changes by usage, but I guess it is all semantics.

I deliberately call mine an "octopus" and I deliberately call my fins "flippers" too. When people try to correct me I'll even start calling my mask my "goggles". I do this to remind people who dive with me (or who learn from me) that there is a differnce between knowing what you're doing and knowing the vocabulary. Any poser can sound the part but that doesn't matter a damned little bit. I wouldn't care if you called it your "third eye" as long as you know exactly how to use it....

R..

or like jeandiver - she makes sure we all have our breathe-y things, our swimmy things, our floaty things, and our see-y things before we start off into the cave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom