How long does it take to complete the PADI divemaster course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chachee99

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to take my divermaster course. I have already started studying the material in the book, manuals, and encyclopedia. I have a month long vacation coming up and would like to take it in the Philippines. Is a month enough time to finish the divemasters course?

I want to take my divermaster course. I have already started studying the material in the book, manuals, and encyclopedia. I have a month long vacation coming up and would like to take it in the Philippines. Is a month enough time to finish the divemasters course?

Big question: You really need to work that out with the Instructor. If you are doing it full time, you should be able to complete it in less than a month.

Generally, I schedule the following:

1. six classroom sessions
2. six pool sessions
3. 11 Internships (including a complete OW class and Rescue Class)

There are some other requirements too ... but this is the main schedule.

JCF

A DMT I know from Roatan said it took 6 weeks full time.

The upside was tha

I spent 3.5 months completing the program, was allot of fun and learned a fair amount.

It took me 7 months from the time I started, but I took 2 months off in the middle to focus on my USCG Captain's license. It was all self study for the academics, going to the shop only to take exams. The rest of the time hassle was coordinating with instructors from the shop to complete the internship.

My son is going to Roatan for 6 weeks to go from AOW to DM this winter so he can mate for me this summer. Judging from the pictures from the operation where he will doing his internship, he is going to have way more fun with it than I did.

It depends on the number of students and the types of classes they want to take. The DM requires your assisting in a prescribed variety of classes. Your shop needs to have a good volume if you want to complete the program in a short time. If they do then a month should be enough.

I would say it is possible, depending upon your current level of certification. If you are already rescue certified and have first aid/CPR...the course will go much more quickly than one who wants to start from entry level.

Personally, I spent several months (working the internship program) and was glad to do so. The actual testing, physical skills, etc. can be done in a relatively short time period. The practical application of working with instructors is, however, invaluable--IMHO

I would say it is possible, depending upon your current level of certification. If you are already rescue certified and have first aid/CPR...the course will go much more quickly than one who wants to start from entry level.

I forgot to point that part out. Yes, my current level to date is Rescue Diver. What I'm mostly concerned about is the actual time with the instructor doing diving exercises and material in the water, as well as, participating in teaching courses.

... my current level to date is Rescue Diver. What I'm mostly concerned about is the actual time with the instructor doing diving exercises and material in the water, as well as, participating in teaching courses.
Yes, a month is enough time to finish the course, presuming ... you have taken care of all the prerequisites (your medical is current, you have the 60 dives necessary for certification and not just the 20 required to start, your CPR/EFR credntial is current), your academic preparation is sound, your ability to refine your '20 skills' to demo quality in a reasonably short time is good, the operation you work with is geared to that approach to training, etc. These are not negative caveats, just a recommnedation to make sure that you have fully prepared, and communicated your plans and expectations with the operation. Some will say this (a one month course) is not the best appraoch, others will say it is fine. Your question is whether is it possible, and it is, based on the requirements of the course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom