Which is most dangerous: Dark Narc, Euphoric Narc, or "I'm just dumb" narc?

Which is most dangerous: Dark Narc, Euphoric Narc, or "I'm just dumb" narc?

• The dark side - "AAAH my tank/mask/fins are trying to eat me"

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • Euphoric Narc - "Hey man, look at that over there"

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • I'm just dumb Narc - "Oh, I'm supposed to breathe?"

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious to see the SB consensus on this!

What is this "SB consensus" of which you speak? Have we ever all agreed on anything?? :D

I'm not sure what you mean by each, but when I get narced I get dumb and know it, and that's all that happens. I'm slower but I can still function normally and I remember a lot (tested down to 180 inside a wreck). I'm a little biased, but I'd consider this the least dangerous form as long as you don't push your limits.

I get a paranoid narc where I must check my dive time, depth and air consumption about every 10 seconds. I guess this would fall into the first category - except that this isn't really such a bad thing, just a little unnecessary paranoia.

No narc is "more dangerous" than the other. They all have the same effect - impaired reactions.

Ah Yes.

One of my favorite subjects on ScubaBoard. I really don't have a good answer for this poll since I've never experienced any of these different descriptions of being narced. It has been my observation that very few divers ever experience any real symptoms of narcosis to the point that they can tell something is different with them. If they have any effect at all from narcosis, it is so insignificant that it's not a danger during a dive. I do realize that there are a very few who do experience severe symptoms however.

But if I had to answer the poll, I'd say the old "Dark Narc" if that's where people hallucinate or take their regs out of their mouth and start trying to talk to the other divers.

None of the above. The worst is: "Who, me? I'm not narced"

Only ever had the first two (to my knowledge), and the first (dark narc) is a lot more scary when you look back on it from the surface.

Should we add tunnel vision narc to the list? Never had it, but read about it plenty.

I've been narced 5 or 6 times that I know of.

Only once was what I would call a "dark narc". I had experienced a freeflowing reg on the previous dive in a cold murky quarry and the second dive was with a different reg but it was the same make and model of the reg that freeflowed on the first dive. When I got down to 90' or more in the cold murky water I was feeling anxious and waiting for my reg to start freeflowing again. I suddenly thought "I want to go to the surface NOW" but I realized I was probably narced and did the old "stop, breath, think" and took control of my emotions again. I finished the dive without any issues and was even able to enjoy myself once I did the mind control thing.

The freeflow was most likely caused by me test breathing the reg in the air (9 degree temps) before descending and I made sure to not do that on the second dive.

My other narcs have been more of a slightly "buzzed" feeling, similar to drinking a glass of wine too fast. No anxiety or fears and managable. I get the feeling, say "I'm narced" to myself and am able to continue the dive. However, my deepest depth has been 123' and I'm usually only at those depths for literally a few minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom