Received activated Atom 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrethediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just received a supposedly brand new 'Atom 2.0 complete ' that I ordered from LP. Everything looks new but the unit came activated with the battery completely discharged - I can't switch it to any screen, the watch mode keeps blinking 'change battery'. Within the documentation there is a note stating that unit comes in 'sleep' mode from the factory and should last up to 3 years in that mode. A new battery/o-ring/silicone grease also came with the unit. Question: did I receive someone else's return? Should I return it or just change the battery and go from there? Thanks.

PS Also, although I was unable to check the firmware on the unit I noticed that the white sticker on the back side of the unit indicates 9/06 - is this the production date of the unit? Thanks.

Good questions to ask Brett - our LP representative here.

I just received a supposedly brand new 'Atom 2.0 complete ' that I ordered from LP. Everything looks new but the unit came activated with the battery completely discharged - I can't switch it to any screen, the watch mode keeps blinking 'change battery'. Within the documentation there is a note stating that unit comes in 'sleep' mode from the factory and should last up to 3 years in that mode. A new battery/o-ring/silicone grease also came with the unit. Question: did I receive someone else's return? Should I return it or just change the battery and go from there? Thanks.

Following is an excerpt of the first page of the manual. I hope that this is the solution to your issue:

Atom 2.0 PDC are placed in a deep sleep mode prior to being shipped from the factory. The intent is to extend storage life of the battery before the unit is initially placed in service.

To wake the Atom up from the deep sleep mode, simultaneously depress the upper / right (S) and lower / left (A) buttons for 2 to 3 seconds until the display comes full ON displaying the MAIN TIME screen, then release them.

Following is an excerpt of the first page of the manual. I hope that this is the solution to your issue:

Atom 2.0 PDC are placed in a deep sleep mode prior to being shipped from the factory. The intent is to extend storage life of the battery before the unit is initially placed in service.

To wake the Atom up from the deep sleep mode, simultaneously depress the upper / right (S) and lower / left (A) buttons for 2 to 3 seconds until the display comes full ON displaying the MAIN TIME screen, then release them.

Thank you for this information. However, this has nothing to do with the point of my original message.

It may not necessarily be a return. But it certainly has been activated before.. perhaps at the store to show a customer?

Either way, they owe you a new battery kit. I would replace the battery using Oceanic's instructions and checking to see if the unit has any dives in it.

Yes the 06 would be manuf. date

We have received the brand new, sealed from Oceanic, that were operating and activated. I assume this is possible in transport. In addition, up until about 6 months ago, we made it a PRACTICE to activate every computer prior to shipment to make sure all was working well. We discontinued that practice when we had one returned because it was activated.

I would doubt seriously that you received anything other than a new computer.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

It was manufactured two years ago. If the computer was set to "deep sleep" mode, it's possible that the battery has passivated.

Lithium batteries can passivate, which means that a layer forms on the anode. It can happen when the current draw on the battery is less than the maintenance current. In other words, if the flow of power isn't high enough, the faucet can get clogged with gunk.

Many Lithium-powered devices have a "reset" button inside the battery compartment, where you have to press two contacts together to get the battery to work correctly. Try that. Otherwise you may have to replace the battery.

So, it may just be a battery problem, not a fraudulently sold unit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom