Regulators on the board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIR

Registered
Reaction score
It seems to me that there are several new divers that look to this board for advice. When the regulators reply to questions, most new divers will listen.

So the question is...

Should the type of experiece and certification level be posted for the regulators on this board?

Just a thought. That way the newbies will know if they are talking to an open water diver or someone with tons of experience.:confused:

Maybe the opposite should be true so the Regulators don't have to deal with trolls and worthless questions.

Not that this is either :rolleyes:

Maybe those you deemed "worthy" could charge you for their advice. As they say, you get what you pay for.

MD

It's been stated clearly multiple times that regulators aren't chosen based on their diving experience. You jealous?

How them Bengals going to do this year?

WW

everyone is entitled to an opinion. Regulators and Moderators are not necessarily the only really experienced people on this board. There are also several manufacturers, writers, world renown instructors and divers, none of whom are Mods.

This is the internet, it is totally up to the reader to determine what the worth is of the advise they are given. That's also part of the fun and what creates much of the debate. Spend some time here and you'll get to know who's who...it won't take long to separate the knowlegeable from the bleating voices.

Diving is all about personal responsibility, chose wisely from whom you get your knowledge...but remember...all the C-cards and titles in the world don't necessarily mean jack. Stay a while, you'll figure it out.

Brian

The regulators are a mix. Their histories can all be deemed from the threads they have posted for many months (or years now), and a few of us even indicate our experience as it relates to diving in our signatures. Some of us are dive professionals, do travel arrangments, have technical backgrounds, or bring some other benefit to the group. The moderator link at the top of the Scubaboard homepage will allow you to see a list of every moderator and under their profiles most reveal plenty about their background and association to dive experience.

That said, however, I think it should be clear that we (mods) are merely regular users of scubaboard given priviledges to help out with the day-to-day management of the forums. A moderators comments while reflecting directly on the boards reputation are in the end, merely personal opinion. So I would personally find out the expertise of a mod as it directly bears impact on the particular subject in question BEFORE I put any credibility to what is being said beyond its value as merely opinion.

Our Super/Senior Regulators play a slightly different role and I believe they are paid for their services, but I'm sure one of them will pipe in with details :)

that's my $.02 worth

bwerb once bubbled...
Stay a while, you'll figure it out.

Brian

He's already been here awhile.

WW

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
Our Super/Senior Regulators play a slightly different role and I believe they are paid for their services

Shows what you know! :)

WW

You know I never outright asked I made some conclusions from comments on the moderator forum. :) thanks for the clarification :)

To the best of my knowledge, taint so :) If it was I think those mod jobs would be in higher demand!

Tom

[snip]
..and a few of us even indicate our experience as it relates to diving in our signatures.

[snip]

I'm guessing that you probably don't want me to judge you or evaluate your skill level based on people that I've met and dove with that have similar or higher certs.... not a pretty picture nor an accurate indicator...

...just my 2 cents on badges...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom