Ikelite Port option

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AussieByron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Is there an option for Ikelite to have male or female screw-in section in there DSLR housing in the future instead of the two little clips which they use at the moment?

I thought that since the new modular system is under way that they have something like they have for the 8 inch dome where you screw into the different spacers into the housing.

I personally have had ports pop off when being brought back onboard boats on several occasions and witnessed others too.

Or maybe possible to add two more little clips instead to make it more secure?

Regards Mark

At this time we have no modifications to the port system in mind. When we designed our newer dSLR housing style, we used the same port lock system from our older SLR housings. That way people didn't have to buy completely new ports to upgrade to digital. In total, we've been using the same port lock system for 30 or so years.

When both locks are secured into the correct position, it is virtually impossible to unlock them by simply hitting the side of the port.

It is unlikely that we will ever add more port locks to the existing housing shell (due to the expense of mold changes). If we redesign our dSLR housing we will probably change the port system, but there are no plans to do so right now.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

At this time we have no modifications to the port system in mind. When we designed our newer dSLR housing style, we used the same port lock system from our older SLR housings. That way people didn't have to buy completely new ports to upgrade to digital. In total, we've been using the same port lock system for 30 or so years.

When both locks are secured into the correct position, it is virtually impossible to unlock them by simply hitting the side of the port.

It is unlikely that we will ever add more port locks to the existing housing shell (due to the expense of mold changes). If we redesign our dSLR housing we will probably change the port system, but there are no plans to do so right now.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Thank you for your reply Jean,

I have had my port knocked off on several occasions on boat decks and the port locks were secured into the correct position. I know of several other ikelite users which this has also happened. I just think its an issue which needs some attention.

Maybe the port locks can be made wider so there is more surface area on the port.

Regards Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom