Yap next week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I leave on Thursday for Yap. Any recommendations on dive locations? I will have time for two day dives and maybe two night dives.
Thanks,
K

2 days or 2 dives?

Are you going to Yap to see Mantas? If so, the operator will be going to wherever they are currently hanging out, no need to worry about locations. If you want to see the other diving Yap has to offer, we did Lionfish Wall and some other sites in that area that were really nice. But it was a long rough ride and in 2 days you might or might not be able to get there, since most people go for the mantas so many boat trips tend be going there. Check with the op on that, who are you going with?

The common night dive there is the Mandarin fish dive, which I thought was interesting to do once. It does requires patience if you want to see the Mandarinfish do their thing, of course you can always see what else is around. I don't know how hard it is to get them to do a night dive elsewhere.

I am working there and have a limited time to dive. We'll be there 6 days, first day will be short after the flight. We are at the Manta Ray hotel. Hope to get a few dives in while I'm there (time permitting). Thanks for the information.

I go to Yap every year and have been doing so for the past 5 years. Go see Dave Vecella at Beyond the Reef (Manta Ray Diving in Yap Micronesia with Beyond The Reef Dive Center). He is a small boat op that gives awesome individualized attention.

Personally I love the walls, Lionfish, Vertigo, Yap Corner, Yap Caverns and my personal favorite, Magic Kingdom (in the south)

Please PM me and I will answer your questions, Dave

I went to Manta Ray resort last August but I was disappointed about diving with Manta: I saw only one manta very far from me... fortunately I stayed only 3 nights and then I went to Pohnpei: this place is wonderful! Big mantas, sharks and beautiful reef! I hope you will be more lucky than me in Yap...

Back
Top Bottom