PADI>>>Is it really worth joining?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
I got my renewal letter today from PADI saying it is time to send them money again. I just dont know if it is worth it. I am a member of DAN and I can list the things that has done for me but when it comes to PADI.....no list.

What do you think? Is it worth the money to join PADI.....what do you get out of it.....is it worth it??????

Doesn't PADI have enough money without having to steal from you? PADI is not going broke anytime soon.

What exactly do you get for joining PADI?

First you get that spiffy card. But you also get discounts at some shops, and sport diver mag....it depends on if you use it.

I'm going to say that if you have to ask, or are asking yourself, it's not worth your time.

I take it this is for your yearly istructor fees?
talking from our side of the world at an exchange rate of 8-1
we certainlly reveu our renewalls with long faces.
many insructors have crossed over to CMAS
where the annual fees are about R120,00 ABOUT 10 DOLLARS.
THEY ARE NOT AS WELL KNOWN AS THE BIG BOYS BUT BEING FRENCH BASED it is recognised all over the world.
At NAUI were paying 8 times 120 dollars US.
HOWARD.

No steel.....just a regular old diver....no instructor. Got to admit i did forget about the sport diver mag. But to tell the truth...i am not all that impressed with the mag....nine tenths advertisements....

norcal.....what discounts have you gotten?? seriously...i have never bought anything from a dive shop and had them ask if i was a padi member that they would like to save me some money. the best card in that category is my lds frequent air refill card....but with work being like it has lately....i havent been using that either.

curious to see what others say.......thanks

In order to get the magazine. It was fortunate for me however because in my renwal info was a rebate for $100 from PADI for buying ScubaPro Reg and BCD, which I had just done.

In my particular case it paid off.

Juls

Sounds like your talking about the PADI travel society? Because I'm an instructor I "belong" whether I want to or not.

I think there might be discounts on some services at resorts and stuff, I don't know because I don't go to those places. They send me the magazine whether I want it or not and I don't.

I sure get a bunch of junk mail though.

If you are a PADI Pro member, you have to pay the fee to maintain the teaching status, otherwise you don't have to...
If you want to pay for PADI insurance, don't do that, DAN is much, much better!!!

If you don't use it, don't join.

Like many organizations, clubs, member groups, etc the PADI Travel Society offers great discounts to active members with the emphasis on active.
It also keeps the involved diver up-to-date on everything scuba.

It's only junk mail if it doesn't apply to you. It may not be junk mail to many others. If you're not traveling to the Caribbean, a discount on a trip there is 'junk' mail to you. Send it to me!
There is more general and specific information in Sport Diver than you can read and absorb in one month not to mention lots more specials that are unique to that magazine.

Only PADI has a cert-based (not DAN) Diver Accident Insurance.
Only PADI has a real, kick-'em-out Quality Assurance program.
Only PADI tavels worldwide offering 'Get Into Scuba' events.
Only PADI has an worldwide Environmental Awareness program.
Only PADI has a worldwide computer certification check for divers and instructors.
Only PADI has a sport scuba research organization to make scuba safer.
AND
Only PADI spends thousands monthly on ads in dozens of non-scuba magazines to promote the sport of scuba!!

However, the decision to renew or join is easy - if you are active and involved you will benefit. If you are just having fun doing the odd dive locally, you'll not likely get a lot of benefit. As Norcal says, if you have to ask about the benefits, you're obviously not using them so don't join.

May I respectfully suggest that, if PADI didn't exist, the scuba world would be poorly served by the other 25+ disorganized, argumentative, uncooperative local certification agencies who do damn little for the diving community at large. Because PADI is run in a business-like manner and charges market rates for its services it grows and becomes stronger and more valuable to the sport of scuba each year.

PADI has it's faults but re-investment in the sport of scuba is not among them. The growth of scuba worldwide is largely thanks to PADI. Have you considered that the dozens of wanna-be cert agencies that have sprung up in the last 5 years would not exist if not for the interest & growth in scuba generated by PADI?

Like it or not, PADI is the current mover & shaker in scuba (see poll at http://www.scubaboard.com/t6126/s.html .

I can't help but respond to Steeldiver. CMAS has been struggling to become a big player for almost 1/2 a century. Their claim to fame seems to be that they are cheap. You get what you pay for, which, in the case of CMAS, is nothing (I'm a CMAS 3 Star instructor). If you think that a French based certification card is going to give you access to diving around the world you clearly have not been keeping up with international news. The list of countries that will NOT respect your CMAS card grows longer daily. If you restrict your diving to Continental Europe and a few other small pockets around the world, CMAS will do nicely. Of course, no resort these days will refuse to take you diving if you have any 'C' card - and US dollars of course!
Personally I don't want a 'C' card that will 'get me by'! I don't want to have to slide my card across the counter so no one else will see it.
BTW, we have our annual trip to RSA coming up this fall. Do you accept francs there now or do you still prefer Uncle Sam greenbacks?

Seahunter
PADI 11374
NAUI 5224
ACUC 453EA
CMAS CDN00017
+ DAN, SSI, NASE, CURE and several other equally inconsequential certifications.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom