Zagg Cover on Galileo Sol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Video rookie

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I ordered a Zagg shield for my Galileo Sol and when I tried to put it on I realized it was too big. Since I already had the shield wet and sticky, I put it on the plastic over shield that comes with the Galileo, and trimmed it with an exacto knife, not real happy with how it turned out.

I contacted Zagg, and they asked me to measure the screen and the shield they had sent. I measured the screen at 2.80" x 1.75", and the zagg at 2.84" x 1.90". They said they sent the wrong shield, and sent a replacement, and want me to return the one I trimmed down.

Now, I've recieved the replacement and it measured it before getting it wet this time: 2.84" x 1.87"... still too big. I send them another email, and this is the response I got:

I apologize that the same result happened with this shield and can only assume that this might not be the model that you have. Because of our new custom policy that has just been implemented, we cannot create custom design shield based off of given dimension. We would actually need your Uwatec Galileo Sol so that we can make an accurate design. If this is not possible it is best that you might want to get a refund, please let us know which option will you choose.

Now I know I'm holding a Galileo Sol in my hand, and I don't want to send them my computer, but I like the material they use in their shields.

My question is, has anyone successfully put a Zagg shield on their Galileo Sol without having to trim it? What is the size of the screen on your Galileo Sol?

I've asked if they would make a cover for the plastic overshield, since I would be willing to send them that, and I think it would be a popular cover for this computer.

Thanks for any dimensions. If you are considering ordering this cover for your Galileo Sol make sure to measure your screen, because the shield will be the size noted above and may not fit.

Vic

I ordered a Zagg shield for my Galileo Sol and when I tried to put it on I realized it was too big. Since I already had the shield wet and sticky, I put it on the plastic over shield that comes with the Galileo, and trimmed it with an exacto knife, not real happy with how it turned out.

I contacted Zagg, and they asked me to measure the screen and the shield they had sent. I measured the screen at 2.80" x 1.75", and the zagg at 2.84" x 1.90". They said they sent the wrong shield, and sent a replacement, and want me to return the one I trimmed down.

Now, I've recieved the replacement and it measured it before getting it wet this time: 2.84" x 1.87"... still too big. I send them another email, and this is the response I got:

I apologize that the same result happened with this shield and can only assume that this might not be the model that you have. Because of our new custom policy that has just been implemented, we cannot create custom design shield based off of given dimension. We would actually need your Uwatec Galileo Sol so that we can make an accurate design. If this is not possible it is best that you might want to get a refund, please let us know which option will you choose.

Now I know I'm holding a Galileo Sol in my hand, and I don't want to send them my computer, but I like the material they use in their shields.

My question is, has anyone successfully put a Zagg shield on their Galileo Sol without having to trim it? What is the size of the screen on your Galileo Sol?

I've asked if they would make a cover for the plastic overshield, since I would be willing to send them that, and I think it would be a popular cover for this computer.

Thanks for any dimensions. If you are considering ordering this cover for your Galileo Sol make sure to measure your screen, because the shield will be the size noted above and may not fit.

Vic

Hi Vic,

I think I was one of the first to order the Zagg for my Galileo Sol, only to be disappointed when I experienced everything you just mentioned.

I then removed it and placed it back in its packet and will be calling them shortly. I am glad you started a thread on this dilemna because others have probably already ordered a Zagg Shield.

I personally didn't like the Zagg shield on my main screen since I have a plastic guard that comes with the unit.

However, I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THE ZAGG ON MY PLASTIC GUARD !!! And I will tell you why, my plastic guard after the first dive has a big scratch on it, yes it protected my main computer and you cannot see the scratch underwater but when you surface its there.

I have since ordered a new plastic guard and at $21 bucks they are not cheap, to have me scratch up the second one as easy as my first would really suck.

So what would the Zagg shield do for my plastic guard? Lots of protection and hopefully it will not occlude the display, as that would keep me from placing it on at all.

Please keep us posted on the results: can you also give me the contact name of who you are working with?

As it will be easy for me to contact them and launch my complaint as well...

Since I have two plastic shields it will be no problem to send in my scratched one.

Also why didn't you send in the 3m sticker that came with your Sol? That is the identical dimensions of the screen? You therefore would not have any reservations about having your computer tampered with.

MG

MG-

Actually I didn't know it was a problem until I recieved the second shield and found out it was also too big. As for the shield that came with the Galileo Sol (made by 3M) it measures 2.75"x1.70", which is a little small, but would make it easier to take it back off, since you could get a finger nail on it's edge. I've sent a link to this thread to Zagg, so maybe they will follow along, and maybe even add comments. I like the idea of you sending in the scratched cover, since I think that actually is probably a better place to have a shield.

Vic

Hi MG and VR,

Thanks for finding a great way to protect the outer screen cover on my Galileo Sol. I will keep an eye on this thread. Are you planing on sending in the old screen cover? This is something I could be interested in. Plus a few other of my "Sol" brothers might like this idea instead of replacing the outer shield.

Tony

Morning Sol Brothers, I had the same issue with my Zagg Invisible Shield, The dimensions that I have are 7.1cm wide x 4.4cm high. I can't believe that the only way to produce these pieces of plastic are to have someone send in their computer.
Where did you pick up your second screen cover, I need one, having lost it on my first dive with the Galileo. Also has anyone bought a second transmitter and used it to monitor your buddy's gas? I'm just wondering how effective it would be when your a few feet apart from each other...

Mikey,

My second transmitter does not work like the uwatec manuel says it should . I have yet to see it flash my buddies gas even with my arm on top of the transmitter underwater. But mine has also done a few other strange things and is about to go back for a check up.(ex. pick up heart monitor when no one had one on or around?)(not reading second transmitter on screen except in gas menu.) A few of my friends have had minor issues too. Only one has been a major problem.( Lossing tank pressure under water.) I still love my SOL.

Any issues with you guys Sol?

Tony

Last edited:
Morning Sol Brothers, I had the same issue with my Zagg Invisible Shield, The dimensions that I have are 7.1cm wide x 4.4cm high. I can't believe that the only way to produce these pieces of plastic are to have someone send in their computer.
Where did you pick up your second screen cover, I need one, having lost it on my first dive with the Galileo. Also has anyone bought a second transmitter and used it to monitor your buddy's gas? I'm just wondering how effective it would be when your a few feet apart from each other...

I've used a second transmitter on a buddy's set, just to see how it worked. I would get about a metre away from my buddy and, after a couple of seconds, their tank pressure would appear in the 'buddy' box. I went in and out of range several times, and each time, after a few seconds in range, it would pick it up no problem.

I did this with a prototype unit I was testing, and with my production model, and no problems with either.

Mark

Morning Sol Brothers, I had the same issue with my Zagg Invisible Shield, The dimensions that I have are 7.1cm wide x 4.4cm high. I can't believe that the only way to produce these pieces of plastic are to have someone send in their computer. ...

Your measurements are basically the same as mine, just different units. I bet your Zagg shield measures about 7.2cm x 4.8cm. So what did you do with your Zagg shield? Did you return it? If not make sure to contact their customer support. I've been exchanging emails with Stephen. Also express your interest in a cover for the plastic overshield, and have any other "Sol" users that are interested do the same.

I've not actually used my Galileo Sol yet... heading to Roatan December 27 for a week to get it wet.

Vic

Hey Sol brothers,

I got my extra shield from http://www.anywater.com/ ask for Laura and tell her Mike G sent you her way. She was really cool about ordering them from Scubapro, they were on back order but she got a set and I picked up one. It was $25 bucks without tax.

I'm diving tomorrow and I'm using my old shieldsince I don't want to damage my new plastic guard until I get the ZAGG replaced with the correct dimensions.

I haven't contacted ZAGG custormer support but will be doing it shortly. I hope this plan of ours works as it would be sweet to have that ZAGG protection over that easy to scratch plastic cover.

MG

p.s
Tomorrow they are having a massive, massive sale so you guys should be aware!!!

Back
Top Bottom