Diving with Fish n Fins in Palau, and on board the Ocean Hunter III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HBO MD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all,
I just returned from 3 weeks away in Palau which I must admit was the trip of a lifetime. The first week was spent at the Palau Pacific Resort,(PPR), then one week aboard Ocean Hunter III, followed by a return to PPR.
While the resort and diving in Palau is well known, and has been discussed many times before, I note that there have often been questions relating to Fish n Fins (FNF) and their dive operation, so I will comment mainly about that.
The operation is run and owned by Navot and Tovah Bornovski ; an Israeli couple who have resided in Palau for almost 20 years. They bring a wealth of diving, sailing and marine knowledge to their craft which seems to be eclipsed only by their level of committment to Palau, it's people and their guests : the divers.
The operation is run very much "hands on", with both Tovah and Navot leaving nothing to chance in order to ensure their guest's diving goals are met without any problems.

Pre-trip

Reservations for accomodations, diving, car rental etc can all be handled by them and their team. I found e-mails to be responded to promptly, efficiently and no question seemed to trivial or foolish for them. Of the latter, I have no doubt I asked many. In terms of organizing international flights, they referred me to similarly efficient agents who were very familiar with the nuances/timing of flights in the area, the time needed for quick transfers etc. The process was no more difficult than organizing a domestic trip.

Arrival

We were picked up from the airport exhausted, jet lagged and bewildered, which made the fact that a pre arranged pick up was all the more welcome. Upon reaching the resort in the late evening ( around 10:30pm), vouchers, pickup times were already delivered and waiting for us as planned in the previous weeks : an omen of the organization and hassle free experience that lay ahead.

Diving

a) Land Based

We were picked up after breakfast and transported gently to the dive shop which is a bussle of activity from around 7am. The store is the nerve center of FNF, and is reflected by the the clanging of tanks, the excited chatter of new and old arrivals and the sad faces of those ending their trip. Tovah and Navot were there to greet us. Relaxed and friendly, they are welcoming and warm to all who enter their "home". A cup of iced tea is offered and accepted gladly, stories and expectations exchanged and divers buddied up with similar experience and expectations. This is a multi national experience ; Aussies, Swiss, Germans, Americans...all brought together by a desire for adventure. FNF really shines here. Our dive gear was whisked away and organized on one of about 6 boat while we were being introduced to our new companions.
The divemasters worked relentlessly to ensure that all the predive requirements were taken care of while we relaxed, filled out the requisite paperwork and graduallly overcame the incredulity of having actually made it to Palau.
Once on board, the divemasters cajoled, joked and introduced themselves to us explaining what would take place over the coming days. Jet lag had yet to surrender it's grip upon us when we were already at the dive site with the dive master, and boat attendants already hoisting our tanks etc upon the seats and beckoning us to finish getting dressed. The pre dive briefing was concise and clear. Safety was the bottom line : period. There would be 2 dive masters and while we could dive according to level of comfort, they would be keeping a close eye on us. We were to discover that this was indeed the case, and it was never intrusive.
The dive boat was fast, clean and very well maintained. Tanks were efficiently stacked behind the seats and unobtrusive. Fist aid kit ,oxygen ,radio etc were all present and accounted for should any unpredicted emergency be encountered. Diving with inflatable safety devices was a must. Cold water was available for thirsty travellers as well as a water bottle which was provided for us from the dive store, filled with tea, water etc.
All care was made when tying up to buoys which marked the dive sites. This was about eco awareness, not exploitation, which we were reminded of constantly. This was in contrast to the behaviour evident on some of the other dive boats. Palau has an assortment of dive operators, and it became clear very quickly who are the professionals and who are in it for the "quick buck". Some boats were indifferent to any sort of ecological needs or etiquette, where divers were literally dumped at the site in the absence of any type of order or control wreaking havoc with the reef and any other divers present. We were to discover later, that this had culminated in the disappearance of some divers ; not all of whom were ultimately recovered. While the tropical waters are welcoming, they are not equally forgiving, with currents changing quickly and unpredictably at times. FNF is committed to being proactive in terms of safety.
As the divemasters became familiar with us, our levels of expertise, goals etc ( manta, sharks, wrecks , for example), they endeavoured over the ensuing days to fulfill them promptly and safely. The time we were there, mantas seemed to be extremely active and hence German Channel was a frequent destination. Divers seeking wrecks, were quickly matched up with other "wreckophiles" and sent off to other interesting sites to have their dive lust fulfilled. None were disappointed.
For photographers, a rinsing tank was provided as well as life preservers to be placed deep within the seat tanks to allow "soft" storage for the photogs "babies".
Upon return, gear was rinsed off, a quick shower and videos reviewed. Chattering, "ooing" and "ahhing" replaced the mornings banter as divers reviewed the events of the day.

b) Live Aboard : Ocean Hunter III

Ocean Hunter III is a reincarnated research vessel, 96 ft in length and able to accomodate 16 divers in sheer comfort.
We were taken to FNF from our resort and shortly shuttled by boat to the Ocaen Hunter. Upon arrival, the crew again rapidly disappears into the background organizing cabins and luggage.
The design is purely "nouvea diver plush". Native timbers, comfortable furnishings, air conditioning, wide screen TV's, DVD players, music system (ipod compatible) greeted us. This is definitely not your gut wrenching, diesel stinking, bilge grinding, ex fishing boat, dive vessel. This has been built with tremendous attention to detail and pride in workmanship. Did I mention the upper deck twin jacuzzi's?
The crew is devoted to the divers. They watched what we ate and catered to each of us accordingly : you didn't eat the fish, an alternative appears ; you don't eat meat, perhaps this would appeal to you....and so it goes on. We had planned to dive hard and lose weight, returning home svelte and tanned. Well these guys certainly undermined that plan completely ! The food was simply gourmet ; and abundant.
The days were basically wake, dive, eat, dive, eat dive ,eat dive etc.
The guides could not have been more open to suggestions, desires and goals of one and all. Shark dive...sure, mantas...German Channel it is....wrecks...why not, night dive perhaps? Of course the photogs would review their pics or vids obsessively via the big screen TV. FNF also offers a personal DVD service to document your vacation. We opted for this and it has been a source of tremendous satisfaction and wonderful reminiscences for us since returning.
During the 7 day tour most of Palau's prime dive sites were explored and experienced from Blue Corner through to Pelilieu. The trip was extraordinary, leaving most of us wanting to call home with a mysterious illness so we could extend our stay.

Overall

Fish n Fins demonstrated remarkable professionalism and a sense of spirit little seen in todays competitive chaotic world. The Bornovski's committment to their staff, Palau and their guests verges on the familial.
There is no question that we shall be returning.
Thanks Tovah and Navot !

Great report....Over the years I've done tours on most of all the LOB's, Ocean Hunter is by far the best.....Palau is one of the best spots in the world!...glad you had a good time.

Great to hear! I've booked Ocean Hunter I in late May 2009 based on other positive reports, and your report really reinforces the decision!

In terms of pics, I have yet to enter the 21st century and have been using a Nikonos V. Film currently being processed. I promise I shall add pics to this thread to elevate it to the level of "worthiness" for you. :wink:

Film?....If I were under 25...I'd have no idea what you are talking about...LOL...sorry I could not resist:cool2:

Stinker....I don't blame you. But then again it was hard to compete against guys who have $6000 housings, $2000 cameras and strobes.
But...just wait and see. I know that at least 0.00001% of my photos came out

Hope this works....don't laugh, I've yet to enter the digital imaging age.

Attachments

• manta9.jpg
    manta9.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 142
  • diver1.jpg
    diver1.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 158
  • manta6.jpg
    manta6.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 115
  • manta19.jpg
    manta19.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 150
  • manta12.jpg
    manta12.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 116
  • turtle1.jpg
    turtle1.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 127
  • shark1.jpg
    shark1.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 135
  • manta4.jpg
    manta4.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 137
Not Bad...some great shots of the Mantas...hard to beat Film!

thanks for your report! i am new on this message board but just wanted to say that i recently also dove in Palau with Fish n Fins and aboard Ocean Hunter 1 (first week of jan), and everything about the trip was truly unforgettable. the diving, the crew, the food, the views, it is hard to describe what a special trip it was.

i have been missing it so much that i have decided to take advantage of my time here and return to palau next week for another 10 day liveaboard on OH1. will write a more detailed trip report then!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom