Life span of dive computer/ regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fah

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a Oceanic Datamax computer. which I bought new about 9 years ago along with my Aqualung/US Divers Micra regulator and octopus. I have faithfully serviced both every year and have only about 80 dives over this time (I know, too few). Both seem fine, but I would hate to find out at depth otherwise. Regulators seem to be pretty basic mechanical devices which I suspect will last indefinately with proper care, but I don't know about the computer. How long can I expect it to continue to work? Thanks for all input.

I cannot speak to your particular brand and model of reg but I have 3 or 4 regs that are over 12 years old or so and they still work fine. I no longer use them with any regularity or anything but I still have them!

As long as you can get soft parts (ie) HP and LP seats, inhalation and exhalation diaghrams etc for servicing, and you generally maintain the unit well by washing it regularly after dives, it should be fine indefinately.

Certainly, I know of regs that are 15 years or more old, are dived regularly and are still perfect.

The same really gos for the computer, if its working, I see no problem in using it, sure dive computers have improved and perhps become more reliable over the years, but I still occasionally dig out and use my old "PHOENIX" air integrated unit which is (I think) well over 15 years old and still works like a dream.

I also have an old DECOBRAIN which, although I dont dive it anymore, still works fine, and thats what, 20 years old, maybe more!.

Dive equipment is generally very reliable, if you look after it and maintain it well, I see no real reason not to use it, whatever its age.

Computers don't generally wear out gradually. They tend to just die, and you will know it.

One exception to that is when sensors (like depth) get crudded up and give bad readings. Again, you will probably notice that too.

I would keep diving them.

I still have my first reg that I bought over 30 years ago. Admittedly I don't use it anymore since technology has moved on and todays regs are great performers. However I am sure that if i could get parts for my old reg it would work fine and be quite safe to dive.

I would guess that my Mares Abyss reg would be around 15 years old and it is a sensational reg that I would expect to still be working well in another 10 or 15 years.

If your computer dies on you just abort the dive. No biggie. It may make repetitive dives inconvenient if you don't have any idea what your tissue loading is though.

The regulators are more important to your safety but pretty much every non-metal part gets replaced during servicing, so they should last a loooong time as long as you rinse them well and don't let them get corroded internally. Your service tech should be able to tell you how good of a shape they're in.

I will continue on with both, I am anal about service of each and will replace anything that even might go bad. So thanks for all the feedback, and I'll let you know how long they last.

I talked to the guy that maintains Vortex springs and he said that he still uses a regulator that he had for over 30 yrs.
Not my idea of a good time, playing roulette with a regulator. Its Apeks or nothin':D

I had an oceanic datamax computer. The battery gave up in October 2007. I bought it in 1991. I have over 1500 dives on it. The problem when the battery dies, and it gave me ample warning, is that it is supposed to be sent back to the manufacturer to replace the batteries. Oceanic said they "don't do that anymore." The shop I use tried hard to open it and were unsuccessful. I've seen posts here on Scuba board how to open it but mine won't budge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom