Genesis Resource Pro indicating ALT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

godjunior

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a Genesis Resource Pro Dive computer that I have been using for the last 2 years. It has never let me down thus far. Used it in fridgid 46oC waters in altitude to diving the coast of Cuba in 83oF waters. BUT last week it bugged on me for some reason that I do not know. I had dove with it just the previous week without any problems. Last weekend returned to the OLYMPIC POOL in Montreal, got dressed, strapped the computer on and initialized it with no avail. All that was written was ALT. Tried it again but same result. Went into water and tried activating is underwater but same result.
Finished the dive and returned to surface and before putting it away decided to try starting it again when WOW it did it's reset and started back up like it usually does. Just put it in the pool to see if it would read the temp and seemed to be working fine. Will try it again this weekend in the pool but was wondering WHY it did this!!!

Thanks for the reply

Andre Boutin

If the computer is displaying ALT across the screen, please return it to your local dealer. Have them return it to the distributor there in Canada. They need to take a look at it to determine what happened.

Thank you,

Genesis Scuba

That's what I figured but for some reason NOW it works just fine. Is there a way to RESET the computer like some kind of AC RESET!!!

There is not a reset on the computer. The computer is now working again? I have not heard of a computer displaying ALT and then start working again.

I would still reccomend that you take it back to your dealer, let them know it was displaying ALT but is now working again. Have them send it back to the factory for analysis.

Sherwood Rep.

Went to the dealer who told me that he cannot do anything since it is working again. Told me that if it did it again, to bring it back and THEN he would send it in.

On other hockey puck computers and most likely your Genesis also, the "ALT" display is shown when the computer does a check of the pressure sensor upon power-up and the reading is such that it thinks that it is at some crazy altitude (like 15 or 20,000 feet) -- so high that it is outside the range of the computer.

You should check your starting NDLs to make sure that they are appropriate for whatever altitude you are at. The NDLs for 30' will show the biggest difference in NDL with altitude.

Altitude measurement is by the same pressure sensor that measures depths to 330', so the small air pressure change from altitude is difficult to measure properly. Hockey puck computers often have a thousand feet of altitude error. If your altitude error is much larger, then you should send in the computer.

-------------------

Pressure sensor errors can be caused by several things, including failure of the sensor, salt crystals applying pressure on the sensor, and rapid temperature changes causes temporary errors. Salt crystals can sometimes be removed by putting just the module in warm water for a few hours (the pressure sensor port is usually on the backside of the computer module and may be covered up by a wrist boot or console, so removing it lets you get fresh water to the sensor).

I've also gotten weird readings by taking a computer that was roasting hot from sitting in the sun and dunking it into cold water. That got the display back, but the sudden temperature change temporarily messed up the pressure reading and the computer decided it was at 6' when still on the dock. The problem resolved itself when the temperature of the computer stabilized. Although it wasn't an "ALT" error, I mention this as a possible reason for an unrepeatable error.

Thank you for the instructive reply. WHICH one of the things probably would apply to my scenario since ONE thing that I can remember that happened is a sudden temperature drop. From my inside my truck (80oC) to outside for about 5 minutes (-15oC) and then back to warm temps (75oC). Can't say for sure this is the problem but dove with it just 3 days ago and check it out versus my buddy's computer. Depth gauge was more precise than his and my NDL was more secure than his.

As for the store it was PlongñÆ Nord Sud (This part is for the Genesis Rep)

Thanks for all your help

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom