V-weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan

Knight Scublar
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know where I can get a V-weight for a reasonable price?

Or at least some tips on how to pour my own? :wink:

Extreme Exposure sells them...

or at least they did recently.

Not sure if you'd consider their prices reasonable, though.

The Halcyon ones, now that I look at them, seem to be the ones that sit between the bp and a set of doubles.

I see this guy at http://www.cisatlantic.com/trimix/vweight/pweight.htm pour his own in the bp channel and called it a p-weight, so I guess that's what I'm looking for.

Has anyone done this?

Don't want to go the ACB route and would like to have as little weight on the belt as possible when I get in the water.

As it is, I'll have the 6 pound backplate, which will leave about 14 pounds on the belt.

If I could pour, or buy, a p-weight, that would probably take 8 pounds or so off the belt. Then when I buy steel tanks.... I could probably do with no belt at all.

P-weight, aka channel weight?

Paging Dr. Pug!

:D

I think I'll just go ahead and try to pour my own. Instead of a single bolt hole in the back of the channel (which probably wouldn't work with a Pioneer), I'll try to drill a pair of holes laterally through the sides of the channel and shove one long bolt through there. That way the lead will pour around it, and that should hold it in, while still (maybe) allowing me to get the bolt and weight out one day if I wish.

Does that sound reasonable? Any estimates on how much lead I'll be able to get into it?

Pug has experience making these things. If he doesn't notice this thread, I'd strongly suggest PMing him.

jonnythan once bubbled...
The Halcyon ones, now that I look at them, seem to be the ones that sit between the bp and a set of doubles.

I see this guy at http://www.cisatlantic.com/trimix/vweight/pweight.htm pour his own in the bp channel and called it a p-weight, so I guess that's what I'm looking for.

Has anyone done this?

Don't want to go the ACB route and would like to have as little weight on the belt as possible when I get in the water.

As it is, I'll have the 6 pound backplate, which will leave about 14 pounds on the belt.

If I could pour, or buy, a p-weight, that would probably take 8 pounds or so off the belt. Then when I buy steel tanks.... I could probably do with no belt at all.

Its actually really easy.I just did one for a friend of mine. Fredt did my original one when i purchased my bp from him.I just followed the directions on the website you posted. Both the channel weights weigh about 9 lbs each leaving me wth 5lbs on my belt :D

jonnythan once bubbled...
I think I'll just go ahead and try to pour my own. Instead of a single bolt hole in the back of the channel (which probably wouldn't work with a Pioneer), I'll try to drill a pair of holes laterally through the sides of the channel and shove one long bolt through there. That way the lead will pour around it, and that should hold it in, while still (maybe) allowing me to get the bolt and weight out one day if I wish.

Does that sound reasonable? Any estimates on how much lead I'll be able to get into it?

Do you use a STA?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom