Solo diving certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Palaupete

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there such a thing as a certified solo diver course? I've made about 100 solo dives - mostly in Bonaire on the house reef in front of where I'm staying. About half of these are night dives. I have also done a few off liveaboards at night with other divers in the water at the same time. I won't name the boats but they are all well known in exotic locations. I didn't ask, I just went in by myself and the captain/divemaster didn't object. I guess they had watched me dive and judged me capable. I use spare air as a backup and stay at 50 feet or less. I have tested the spare air from 50 ft. to the surface and it was adequate. I don't prefer solo diving except I would rather dive solo than with a new buddy ( I have "saved" two) and the only reason I do it is that my wife can't keep up with the number of dives I do on a dive vacation.
The main reason I ask is that for the first time when I went to Wakatobi the dive manager specifically forbid me from diving solo because I wasn't a certified solo diver or an instructor. I didn't know there was such a thing as a solo dive certification. I don't want to take the time to be an instructor - does solo certfication exist?

The main reason I ask is that for the first time when I went to Wakatobi the dive manager specifically forbid me from diving solo because I wasn't a certified solo diver or an instructor.

I find that interesting that the manager feels a recreational instructor would ness. be qualified to dive solo anymore than an experienced certified diver would be -- :shocked2:

I have not taken the SDI course and have no reason to even though much of my diving is spent solo. I reviewed the program and found it offered nothing for me that in terms of solo diving protocols I don't already adhere to. For someone just getting into solo diving and not having a mentor, the course would be worth the time/$.

The main reason I ask is that for the first time when I went to Wakatobi the dive manager specifically forbid me from diving solo because I wasn't a certified solo diver or an instructor. I didn't know there was such a thing as a solo dive certification. I don't want to take the time to be an instructor - does solo certfication exist?

Yes, SDI course as others have mentioned. I have heard the course is a good one to do as it aims to teach one to be self-sufficient and less reliant on a buddy. However, most people I know who solo dive say if you're experienced enough and comfortable with solo diving, the course won't help much. I think the same... I see it more for beginners so not sure if it would suit you, given your solo diving experience. One main reason for getting the card is so charters will let you dive solo. I think it would be worthwhile to get if charters you frequent don't allow solo diving unless you can show the card. I thought about doing the course a bit, as I can only do shore dives solo (charters local to me require you to have a buddy) but the course material is stuff I know, and I have more experienced people to ask if I have questions anyway :) And shore diving is fine enough. Might change my mind at a later stage, but my main reason would be just to please charters and their requirements... A few people I know just rock up with a buddy on the boats and then split up underwater to get around the requirement for a card.

Yes, SDI course as others have mentioned. I have heard the course is a good one to do as it aims to teach one to be self-sufficient and less reliant on a buddy. However, most people I know who solo dive say if you're experienced enough and comfortable with solo diving, the course won't help much. I think the same... I see it more for beginners so not sure if it would suit you, given your solo diving experience. One main reason for getting the card is so charters will let you dive solo. I think it would be worthwhile to get if charters you frequent don't allow solo diving unless you can show the card. I thought about doing the course a bit, as I can only do shore dives solo (charters local to me require you to have a buddy) but the course material is stuff I know, and I have more experienced people to ask if I have questions anyway :) And shore diving is fine enough. Might change my mind at a later stage, but my main reason would be just to please charters and their requirements... A few people I know just rock up with a buddy on the boats and then split up underwater to get around the requirement for a card.

From a boat operator's view- You (by you, I mean a diver, not you specifically), may be experienced, or not- I don't know if you are a stranger to my boats. I can see your logbook with any number of dives and that does not mean you are capable or knowledgable enough to solo on a boat where I am responsible for you. I have personally seen lots of divers with high dive numbers and no sense whatsoever. If you have a solo cert. then that helps alleviate my liability in that I know you have been exposed to the skills needed(whether you have them or retain them is another matter). So, our boat rules are that we do not condone or allow solo diving without certification. There are other boats out there and we wish you good diving, but with us, you have a buddy.
And if divers buddy up, just to split up underwater, they will Never dive with us again. That is completely irresponsible. In the event of an emergency, the dm and captain have completely wrong information at that point and it is dangerous. Please think about this before it is done again.
In any case, this is from the boat operator's perspective. From the Instructor's perspective, you have to dive according to your training and abilities. I cannot make that decision for you. I approve of the solo course because, regardless of whether you have been exposed to information and procedures in various courses, this course approaches them with a specific focus. You decide if you need to take it or not. In any case- dive.

From a boat operator's view- You (by you, I mean a diver, not you specifically), may be experienced, or not- I don't know if you are a stranger to my boats. I can see your logbook with any number of dives and that does not mean you are capable or knowledgable enough to solo on a boat where I am responsible for you. I have personally seen lots of divers with high dive numbers and no sense whatsoever. If you have a solo cert. then that helps alleviate my liability in that I know you have been exposed to the skills needed(whether you have them or retain them is another matter). So, our boat rules are that we do not condone or allow solo diving without certification. There are other boats out there and we wish you good diving, but with us, you have a buddy.

Sure.

And if divers buddy up, just to split up underwater, they will Never dive with us again. That is completely irresponsible. In the event of an emergency, the dm and captain have completely wrong information at that point and it is dangerous. Please think about this before it is done again.

I have never done this as if a dive charter's rules are not to my liking I would dive with another charter. This is what I have seen on boats with a few people who like to solo dive and as I have not seen any repercussions of this so I can only presume some of the boats I have been on have a 'I won't ask if you don't tell' attitude towards solo diving (this applies to a fair few other 'requirements' to dive on charters as well). To each their own and that is how it is done in my local diving area.

I have never done this as if a dive charter's rules are not to my liking I would dive with another charter. This is what I have seen on boats with a few people who like to solo dive and as I have not seen any repercussions of this so I can only presume some of the boats I have been on have a 'I won't ask if you don't tell' attitude towards solo diving (this applies to a fair few other 'requirements' to dive on charters as well). To each their own and that is how it is done in my local diving area.

I know you said they were people you'd seen do this. You, Saspotato, have always struck me as a girl with sense.
We have had some do it too. And I am sure some have done it and gotten away with it too. But, if I catch it, I am one mean b@#$#.
And there are boats that just don't care to know. I know that I like my license and my instructor rating, and my house, and my income........ and all the things I would lose if I allow it and something happens. It is hard, because I LOVE solo diving. I understand their feelings, but I just won't open myself or my shop up for liability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom