Puerto Galera Dec 2 2008 dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nigeltlee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just got back from a 5 day dive trip to PG. Stayed at the La Laguna Beach Club and Dive Centre. Dove with them as well. La Laguna Beach Club and Dive Centre, Puerto Galera, Philippines

Water temp 28 Degrees C, Viz 5-15Meters. Overcast and occasional evening rain.

This is the week before it starts to get real busy and apprently the best time to dive in PG.

We did a variety of dives from the Canyons, to the Dry dock, Sabang Wreck, etc, all along the north side of the island. They do have a lot of variety there but in terms of abundance of things to see in one area Canyons and Monkey beach is probably the best. (The currents in the Canyons were strong a few downwellings but nothing any reasonably fit diver couldn't handle)

Vis was pretty ordinary, at times I felt I was muck diving. Apparently the prior week some local islands were flooded causing the poor viz. Having said that they do have some pretty cool wrecks to check out and fun if thats new to you. My dive buddy had a lot of fun with swim throughs.

Dive outfit was professional and relaxed completely setup for tech diving.

In terms of the resort, for PG it was pretty good. the resort is two coves away from Sabang which is the main shopping and bar area. so if your going there for a balance of diving and evening entertainment id reccomdend staying some place closer. stumbling home at 2-3am, in a few spots was difficult due to the lack of lighting and uneven paths. Dont expect too much from the food. Service was friendly and even though we were the only two pple staying at the resort we still got island paced service, i guess that just comes with the island lifestyle. We felt very SAFE at this place but it did take a day or so to get comfortable.

Rooms were basic, they did come with air conditioning, cable TV, unlimited hot water, room safe, mini fridge/bar but everything else is very simple. If you go there and expect 3-4star room then your setting the right expectations.

they do have newer rooms in another block and a 'luxury' family room at a more expensive rate.

Would i dive with them again? yes.
Would i stay there again, yes but perhaps with a larger group so we can take over the resort.

Where else do people recommend we stay and dive next time? (non tech divers)

Thanks for the report.

I'll be diving at Puerto Galera next March and I wanted to know the water temp to bring the rifght wet suit. What did you wear then?

I wore a 2mil shorty, gloves and boots most of the time. i did feel the cold one rainy afternoon and during night dives, so i put my shark suit on with a hood. much better :)

If the sun was out i'm sure I would have manged fine with the shorty.

PG is always a great gig!!!

Thanks for the report.

I'll be diving at Puerto Galera next March and I wanted to know the water temp to bring the rifght wet suit. What did you wear then?

3mm with hooded vest seems to ring a bell :)

matt> what are you talking about ???
460.gif

Thanks for the report.

You can expect 23-25 degrees C around that time of year. 3mm full to 5mm full depending on your personal tolerance!:coffee:

I've been diving there in April, June, October and November and it's never been cooler than 27-28 in the water (down to 60m), June being the warmest at 30 degrees - 3mm shorty was good for me at all times

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom