Reccomendations for resort in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvleemin

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey,
This fall my wife and I are looking at going to Roatan. We haven't decided which resort to use yet. What do you reccomend.

Some of the obvious ones are:

AKR
Cocoview
Fantasy Island

What are your thoughts?

Also, when would you reccomend going - sometime in the fall, but should I be trying to go later, as in November, early December?

Thanks,

Darryl

There is a time to be on the south or the North part of the island....and for the life of me I can't remember which side is good in the Nov/Dec time frame. (I was there the first wk of March at the Bay Island Beach Resort (north side), and it was calm but the south side was ROUGH)

So hopefully someone will tell you which side is good in Nov/Dec, that will eliminate/narrow down your choices for you)

Jeff

I recommend AKR without hesitation. It's a fine all inclusive operation and is pleasant and well run.

Check Undercurrent on-line for reviews of the others. I vetted dive operations before my trip last December and no one was reviewed nearly as well AKR.

Bring Deet 33% anywhere on Roatan.

JeffG once bubbled...
There is a time to be on the south or the North part of the island....and for the life of me I can't remember which side is good in the Nov/Dec time frame. (I was there the first wk of March at the Bay Island Beach Resort (north side), and it was calm but the south side was ROUGH)

So hopefully someone will tell you which side is good in Nov/Dec, that will eliminate/narrow down your choices for you)

Jeff

LOL, thanks Jeff.

Did you like the BIBR?

Darryl

dvleemin once bubbled...

LOL, thanks Jeff.

Did you like the BIBR?

Darryl

Yes It was nice. It is the "bargain" resort (I think...?maybe?) Well the AKR boats were nicer and faster....and the resort looked to be bigger(also the Chambers are right beside the AKR)
(We passed it 4 times a day getting out to the reefs)

Anyways...the bibr was nice, clean....it can only support around 32 guests at a time. The DM's were nice guys...I would go back with no hesitation.

Jeff

Has anyone started at any of the non-standard resorts? I'm starting to do some more research, and I found there are a lot of other places to stay that I didn't realize. I've never heard of any of them though.

Darryl

Of the 3 Bay Islands I've been to, Roatan is my least favorite, but for personal reasons: expense, overdeveloped, big...

If you're looking for small out-of-the-way, I'd pick Utila or Cayos Cochinos - good diving on both.
=Terry

Roatan Charter

dvleemin once bubbled...
Hey,
This fall my wife and I are looking at going to Roatan. We haven't decided which resort to use yet. What do you reccomend.

AKR
Cocoview
Fantasy Island

What are your thoughts?

Also, when would you reccomend going - sometime in the fall, but should I be trying to go later, as in November, early December?

Thanks,

Darryl

I just returned from my first trip to CCV a couple of weeks ago. I wrote a long two part trip report with lots of photos that you can find here:

http://www.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=1982

If you like the all inclusive style, I'm sure any of the three will be fine. However, our last day we toured the West End. It was very funky, crowded, cosmopoliton, third world, interesting place. Dive shop next to gift shop, next to bars and restaurants all close to each other on a dirt main street , filled with people from all countries mixed with cars and bikes. A youngish very diverse crowd. Seemed to be many people from Italy.

Coming from a week at CCV with all white middle aged Americans (like me!) , it was a refreshing change. It would be a much less 'guaranteed' dive vacation, but if you like that atmosphere and don't mind the risks invlolved, it would certainly be more interesting and exciting. While I don't know of places in the West End to stay, the place we went horseback riding was about a mile from the center, and rented inexpensive nice looking cabins. I can find the name of it if you want.

As far as what month, when I was researching, I seem to remember November,December and January as the rainiest months. But I'm not sure. I am sure early April should not have been rainy and we hit 3 days of bad weather. As always, no guarantees.

GB

dvleemin once bubbled...
Hey,

AKR
Cocoview
Fantasy Island

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Darryl

Dee just got back from there and posted a trip report that you can read here. Sounds like they get back there as much as possible.

stayed at fantasy island. not too impressed. divemasters were friendly but cared only about the large group from kansas. rooms are okay, restaurant was not great, especially the service. the shore diving is a big plus, though. same spot as coco view just on the other side of narrow channel. the sandfleas were a royal pain but that's no better at other resorts. we used lots of deet. some of it apparently got on the lens of my dive light, a shockwave II. it actually ate the lens. totally deformed, unfortunately right at the center. therefore, keep in mind, deet kills plastic. i am not sure about rubber but i would be careful about strapping my dive computer to a deet drenched wrist. nasty stuff. on the other hand, it has been used for decades and no detrimental long term health effects have been discovered. so it seems to be safe for humans. at least the ones that did not have major parts replaced by silicon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom