Can a BC be used as a rebreather in an emergency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Um, no. Chances are your BC will not have much air in it, if you're properly weighted. Very quickly rebreathing from the BC will likely result in toxic CO2 levels. I can't see this as a good idea, but if you're in the situation where it that or death, it might be worth a try.

If you had enough gas in your BC for 5 or 6 breath sure you could use it. The safer way would be to breath in and exhale through your nose, that way you are not rebreathing the gas from it. Now if your power inflator is working you could use it by depressing both buttons at the same time, I practice this technique a few time to see if I could do it and I didn't have too much trouble with it.

Cheers

Al

Many years ago I bought a Buddy Ranger BC that had a small "suicide bottle" you could fill off your main dive cylinder, it could be used to inflate the BC in an emergancy. It also had a clever Lp inflator/deflator mechanism that acted like a primative second stage. The BC also came with instructions how to breath off the bladder in an OOA situation. Well the closest time I have ever come to killing myself was in a 2 meter deep swimming pool trying to practice said breathing technique and control the airflow in to the BC with the control knob on the suicide bottle. talk about task loaded! I would say its a theoretical technique, but when the sh#t hits the fan no way. Needless to say I blanked off the port where the suicide bottle fitted to the BC. Bought a 3 litre pony bottle and dive with that side slung.

Yes a BC can be used as a rebreather, but it is a technique that must be practiced. It is dangerous. We used to practice this technique as a last resort in an out of air situation in an overhead environment. Let me repeat "IT IS DANGEROUS" The only reason to do this would be to get you that last 50 or so feet out to open water so you could do a blow and go. No other reason is worth the risk. For open water I would never attempt this from any depth. There is a great danger of shallow water black out in an ascent from 70 feet rebreathing gases from a BC. .
Jim

The safer way would be to breath in and exhale through your nose, that way you are not rebreathing the gas from it. Now if your power inflator is working you could use it by depressing both buttons at the same time, I practice this technique a few time to see if I could do it and I didn't have too much trouble with it./QUOTE]

This is my understanding of the correct way to use a BC's oral inflator as a third option. Depress both buttons, take a breath, let go of the buttons, exhale through the nose or take the inflator out of your mouth and exhale into the water.

I have read anecdotes that the inside of a BC or wing acquires a lot of nasty stuff you do not want in your lungs unless it is the only way to survive an incident. I can't say for certain.

If you had enough gas in your BC for 5 or 6 breath sure you could use it. The safer way would be to breath in and exhale through your nose, that way you are not rebreathing the gas from it.

Yes a BC can be used as a rebreather, but it is a technique that must be practiced. It is dangerous. We used to practice this technique as a last resort in an out of air situation in an overhead environment. Let me repeat "IT IS DANGEROUS" The only reason to do this would be to get you that last 50 or so feet out to open water so you could do a blow and go. No other reason is worth the risk. For open water I would never attempt this from any depth. There is a great danger of shallow water black out in an ascent from 70 feet rebreathing gases from a BC.

I completely agree that it's dangerous, and that a CESA is less risky and probably easier, and that you might only contemplate this as an extreme last ditch matter. But as an intellectual exercise to understand what the limits are, anyone care to comment about my rationalization:

IIRC, over short periods of time, breathing gas doesn't start to become a consciousness limiting problem until O2 goes below roughly 10-12% and CO2 gets above 10%, although breathing starts to get uncomfortable around 5%. At the surface/1 ata, max CO2 output is about 4%. Since metabolic rate is independent of depth and therefore O2 consumption and CO2 exhalation are constant mass irrespective of depth, at 70 feet/3 ata, breathing output is only about 1.3% CO2, with a similar drop in O2 content. So you could theoretically recycle the same volume of air around 6-8 times before the gas composition was really beyond limits.

I completely agree that it's dangerous, and that a CESA is less risky and probably easier, and that you might only contemplate this as an extreme last ditch matter. But as an intellectual exercise to understand what the limits are, anyone care to comment about my rationalization:

IIRC, over short periods of time, breathing gas doesn't start to become a consciousness limiting problem until O2 goes below roughly 10-12% and CO2 gets above 10%, although breathing starts to get uncomfortable around 5%. At the surface/1 ata, max CO2 output is about 4%. Since metabolic rate is independent of depth and therefore O2 consumption and CO2 exhalation are constant mass irrespective of depth, at 70 feet/3 ata, breathing output is only about 1.3% CO2, with a similar drop in O2 content. So you could theoretically recycle the same volume of air around 6-8 times before the gas composition was really beyond limits.

Similar to turning a CCR into SCR. Breathe 5 breaths and then flush the loop and repeat. Keep in mind there is still a scrubber taking care of the CO2.
Breathing from a BC? Only as a last resort. Keep it clean.

Well I've only ever had one OOA situation (which happend for weird reason and not a result of not watching guages) and it resulted in a BB ascent. Breathing from the BCD didn't even occur to me....

Remember the list?

- normal ascent
- AAS ascent
- CESA
- BB ascent
- buoyant ascent

- Do we need to add "BCD rebreather" to this list? don't we already have enough options?

As a last resort to extend my life by 1 or 2 minutes if any other kind of ascent wasn't possible I might try it but if you have other options that are less involved.....

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom