Winging it: Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

serious_fun

Registered
Reaction score
hello-

I haven't posted in a long time...but I have a question re: an almost last moment trip to Indo.

I'll probably use my Christmas holiday to fly from home (Hong Kong) to Jakarta, (23 Dec. to 27 Dec.), and then to Bali, (27 Dec. to 3 Jan.)

What suggestions for dive spots/shops/etc. do you have? Budget = economy. :crafty:

thanks

Cheapest place is probably Tulamben on the North east shore. I stayed at Matahari and Tulamben Wreck Divers and they both were good but TWD had better rooms.

http://www.tulambenwreckdivers.com/dive-bali.asp?

Matahari was cheaper and closer to the ocean and has a restaurant overlooking the ocean.

Matahari Tulamben SCUBA Diving Resort Bali

I would say you should also dive Amed (close by wall diving) and Menjangan which is some great wall diving off the northwest coast of Bali.. (you would probably drive there do a dive, stay the night, dive then return or do the long trip both ways one day)

I think I could dive the Drop Off, Coral Gardens and the Wreck for a few weeks no problem though....

Another place in Tulamben is Ocean Sun diver resort. Ricardo is from Germany and he runs the dive shop. They have super cheap rates for rooms and guided dives. Pretty nice people there too but the rooms have no AC which is pretty important I think in that heat! They have some good food and a bar now I believe...

Tauchen in Bali mit PADI Tauchschule in Tulamben

So with 3 levels of budget rooms, you should be good to go!

I hope this helps!

Sean

Hi there,

Have been to Bali 4X and into diving on a budget. I agree with Tulemben – I have done lots of diving there. My favorite place is called Puri Madha Bungalows. They are to the far north of town. Pass the "public" dive spot and keep going a block or so - there is a very old sign pointing down a dirt road - you will pass a newer dive shop - just keep going towards the ocean.

The place has seen better days but it is right on the ocean, surrounded by a coconut groove and very relaxing. Some bungalows have been remodeled with air con and go for about $22 each. I rent the cheap rooms (and bargain down to $5-$6 - the price includes a simple breakfast). The ones near the restaurant and facing the ocean are large and pretty clean - nothing special except that they have nice porches with chairs that face the ocean.

If you have your own gear you should be able to shore dive here for US $7 per refill - If you are doing multiple dives you may be able to dive with a guide for US $15 (bargain). If Angel is there he is a fantastic guide - but he may have left.

Their rental gear is not worth while so, you can stay at Puri Mada and rent gear from the shop you passed on the left when you walked down the dirt road (can't think of the name). They have some of the best gear in town. Diving is at your leisure at Puri Madha if there are not many guests and after you have explored the wreck & drop off hire a local boat and explore other nearby areas. (I definitely recommend a sunrise dive on the wreck!)

If you're really on a tight budget, you can get very cheap local food in the morning by just facing the ocean from Puri Madha and walking down the beach to your right - there is a little palm hut and local food is something like $.50 or even cheaper. Alternatively, there is an inexpensive tourist restaurant at the public access park just right on the beach from puri madha or there is also a good local place just across from the fancier restaurant in town (left from the dirt road down about 1/4 mile & on the main street) - I think is tastier food too ;-)

Another good place to dive is in Padang Bai. Blue Lagoon is nice, especially at night and certainly cheaper than more distant locations, but be sure to spring for at least one trip to Manta Point – the Manta are beautiful. You can stay at Kerti Inn (walk left from the ferry dock-if you are facing the ocean) about ½ way down you will find Kerti - they should rent the front room for about $5 per night. It is basic but nice enough and beach front with a little porch. There are plenty of inexpensive food joints around if you dodge the major tourist magnets. Lots of dive shops and you should find a decent deal - my shop, Absolute Scuba, is not the cheapest but has a very professional staff and excellent rental gear.

Diving is more expensive than Tulemben, but Manta point is worth a trip & Padang Bai a nicer Bali town than Tulemben – don’t miss Topi Inn (at the far end of the tourist walk).

Cheepest way to dive Mangellan is to stay in Lovina. You should be able to show up in town and find a room for $8 or so - lots of choices for rooms, food & lodging. Just check your guide book.

Tulemben is sleepy but has the cheapest diving!, Padang Bai has a fun tourist strip & a nice village of maybe 50,000? with temples & cultural interests, and Lovina has lots of other tourists & activities tourists enjoy.

It's easy to wing it in Bali, just remember they will always charge tourists about 3X too much. The average working class salary is about $2.50 - $3.00 US per day. Easiest and cheapest way around Bali is by tourist shuttle bus.

Hope this helps! Have a great trip and feel free to email if you have any other questions.

I'm Heading back to Bali next year and will be diving Padang Bai... I didn't mention it since I didn't dive there last time.. Here is a great dive book about bali (although it's older now, I think it's a great read). His descriptions of Padang Bai are amazing so it's definitely worth doing if you have the time and money... Dive boats to Nusa Penida too but again extra costs...

Diving Bali: Periplus Adventure Guide - Google Book Search

I did see this book at some airports so maybe you could find it in HK... Definitely worth a read..
It was out of print on Amazon last time I heard...

Nice advice Kathy!

Sean

I have a few more useful thought. My dive logs says "alamanda" is a nice dive off-shore at tulemben (once you've done plenty of dives on the drop off/wreck). You must dive it from a local fishing boat rent should be $2 or $3 max I think?

It's worth spending your last decompression days shopping & exploring Ubud - show up in the shops early and ask for "morning price" - first sale brings good luck, so if you're first, usually they bargain to their cost. Humor goes along way in Bali - just keep making jokes & laughing and the price drops quickly ;-). Email me if you want cheap lodging recommendations.

If you make it to Padangbai -

check out the grilled fish at the Padang Bai Cafe - you will find it along the beach if you walk towards the ferry from Kerti Inn and follow the road up and around and find the next row of tourist restaurants. Lots of options but this hole in the wall has fantastic grilled fish ;-).

Have a great time & say hi to Bali for me ;-). I'll be back next summer!
Topi Inn has water refills for $.20

I am loving some of the information in this thread. It looks like Bali can be done affordably after all. Just a question about the Tulemben bungalows. Were you able to arrange with them a hotel/airport (both directions) transfer? It looks like about 80 or so kilometers so a fair drive.

It looks like (thanks to Google Earth) there was a volcano in your back yard in Tulemben as well. Was the scenery topside as spectacular as I am imagining? In looking at the resorts on Bali, it seemed to be like many other "other side of world" destinations for me.....to expensive. But it seems like there may be some hope after all.

The transport can be arranged either through the hotel or dive op. A guy from Tulamben Wreck Divers picked us up. It is a long ride, but very scenic drive.

We stayed at Mimpi Resort, which is "high end" in Tulamben. Tauch Terminal, Tulamben Wreck Divers (not on the ocean) or Scuba Seraya are all fine to stay at.

From any of the resorts, it is not that scenic. He have to drive down the road and take a turn away from the ocean and all of a sudden you get a great view.

The best scenes are on the drive to and from Tulamben.

You can see trip photos on my site. Go to the Galleries and pick the one that is titled Bali and Pelagian.

Scorpio Illusions

I love Tulamben. I'd move there in a heartbeat. Hang with the Aussies. They're great.

Yup Bali can be done inexpensively. Just trust me, laugh alot and keep your eyes on what the locals spend - never trust all the buddies that want to be your friend - Some of the friendliest people in the world if you understand them & much nicer outside of resorts.

Remember there is a huge difference between what the local cost is and what the "stupid tourist" cost is. The first questions locals will ask is: what country you are from? how many times have you been to bali. If you are from America and it is your first time - the prices go up at least 5X! Canadians may get a better deal. It's a total game to them. Play it cool, tease, learn a few words of Indo, show respect for their culture and they will appreciate you & you will get much better prices & learn lots!

There is no shortage of drivers in Bali unless there is a huge spiritual festival. I know a driver from Tulemben who can pick you up. It is nice to hire the locals as Tulemben is an economically depressed area. I think he quoted $370,000 rupies to go from the airport to tulemben: Igede Suparto blorijax@yahoo.com
try this: +62 (0) 81338446480.

I stay in Ubud for a few nights then head up to Tulemben on a tourist shuttle. because it is a bit of a drive from the airport to Tulemben. The drive to Tulemben through Tirta Gangga is very nice - if you have time & a private car, walk around the water palace in Titra Ganga - it's beautiful.

If I remember correctly, you can see Mt Agung from Tulemben on a clear day (often obstructed by a ring of clouds) - but it is not part of the beach scenery. It is really beautiful to hire a local motorcycle driver to take you down towards Amed and around Seraya (often impossible in a car) You can loop back around through Amlapura and pass through Tirta Gangga again & back up to Tulemben. Oh by the way no ATM's in Tulemben so it's a good time to get cash in Amlapura.

Have fun!:wink:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom