dive watches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
new to this forum - so apologies if this has been covered - i am interested in knowing what you think the best dive watches are - and any that are also good formevryday wear

thanks, green

My wife and I both have St. Moritz watches. Good quality, good service, made in Canada (so should be super cheap for your 'mericans), and look great.
I also find them really easy to read underwater, even when its dim in Lake Huron :)

Wetvet

Since many, many divers lose watches while diving, purchasing a very expensive one is not wise. A 200M Casio is a great dive watch. A 200M Timex is also just as good. I actually used my 50M Casio for a couple of years before I bought a 200M watch. On sale, you can get one for around $40.

I have a Relic watch I bought several years ago at Sears for @ $65. It has a bezel, so can be used as a simple backup to my computer. It is stainless steel, and rated for up to 165 feet (well, it says so on the face, anyway). I've taken it as deep as @95 ft., and pretty much never take it off, and haven't had a single problem with it yet. It has most definitely outlasted all my nice expensive watches, and I wear it to the office, etc. I find it attractive enough for every day wear, and I'm in a suits and skirts office environment.

The only negative as yet is that I've managed to get an ugly scratch down the face of it, though I would chalk that up to my own clutziness than the quality of the watch.

I have some no name watch my Mother gave me when she was at Walmart one Holiday season. One of those gifts you receive at Xmas and you wonder??...what is she thinking with this gimmicky stuff (you never ask for) as stocking stuffers?? You think you'll end up giving it to a toddler to play. Funny thing, I put it on my BC D-ring about 4 yrs ago and 500 dives later, it's still working! HA HA! It's been to 250fsw (not advocating this to anyone!) though its only rated for 50 ft; and its been past 100fsw about 150 times. I never rinse it more than I do the BCD and it just sits there. I don't really care if it poops out, I don't count on it for anything. What a great gift it turned out to be! Thanks Mom! :D

Check bubble-gum machines! :D

Here's a good thread with a bunch of insight on watches.
Watch Thread
I wear a Citizen Aqualand watch with a Waterborne strap. It is the only watch I've worn since I was 16. I wear it everday at work and use it as a backup for diving. It has a depth gauge, bottom timer and dive log on it. I think I paid three hundred quid or so then, I don't know what it would be now. My only comlaint with the watch is that the battery changing is a long involved process. So far Citizen only has one authorized service center in MI that's about an hour and a half from me. Plus it costs around 60 bucks. Still a nice watch though and I don't expect to replace it anytime soon.

SCORE ResQ once bubbled...
Here's a good thread with a bunch of insight on watches.
Watch Thread
I wear a Citizen Aqualand watch with a Waterborne strap. ....So far Citizen only has one authorized service center in MI that's about an hour and a half from me. Plus it costs around 60 bucks. Still a nice watch though and I don't expect to replace it anytime soon.

I sent mine to Citizen Main office in California. They charged me $40.00 to replace the battery, and the crystal which had a couple deep scratches in it. I think this was a great deal. And when I called them on a Wednesday to ship it to my hotel so I could use it for a dive on Saturday, they expressed it to my hotel. I paid for shipping, however.

I also just picked up a Waterborne watch strap from Aqua Tech in San Diego. It's much more comfortable than the rubber strap I have replaced 4 times--and half the price to boot.

BTW, I wear a HyperAqualand I got in St. Thomas in 1997, when you were 17, as a matter of fact. :D

SMKChef:
I sent mine to Citizen Main office in California. They charged me $40.00 to replace the battery, and the crystal which had a couple deep scratches in it. I think this was a great deal. And when I called them on a Wednesday to ship it to my hotel so I could use it for a dive on Saturday, they expressed it to my hotel. I paid for shipping, however.

I also just picked up a Waterborne watch strap from Aqua Tech in San Diego. It's much more comfortable than the rubber strap I have replaced 4 times--and half the price to boot.

BTW, I wear a HyperAqualand I got in St. Thomas in 1997, when you were 17, as a matter of fact. :D

I concur, I also have a couple citizen Aqualands (1 Analog Stainless , 1 Digital depth Ti ...for several years no issues) one of which I changed over to Waterborne strap (1.0 inch) and another on my Seiko 600m Ti (also 10yrs+ lots o dives no issues) ...I love them, they don't look it but the straps are very comfortable. So much I plan to get a 3rd for a St Moritz I'm considering.

As far as a watch recommendation, I have several dive watches and in my opinion you can certain spend a ton but for $175-$500 Citizen and Seiko are hard to beat -tuff little watches (Although you'll get much better service & turn around from Citizen when it's time for Battery & Pressure tests), you be tired of looking at them before they quit.

I'm looking at a St Moritz Nereos next - looks like a great watch for 300 bones. Some of the other watches with dive computer functionality & Nitrox capability are nice if you have the extra $$$ but I'd save my money for a good console computer.

By the way the Waterborne straps are also built to hold on to the watch even if you break one pin - I know someone who lost a submariner that way on backside of Catalina (Farnsworth) - that watch was long gone at 250'+
The Waterbornes are far better than the rubber dive bands in comfort and integrity. ...I think they look great too.

I have the Citizen Eco Drive. It has a depth gauge w/ max depth indicator,stop watch, date ect I got it for 250.00 have wore it for several years and its holding up great!!! Its A 200M. Best od all no batteries to replace!!
Be safe Rboyer

greenwhite:
new to this forum - so apologies if this has been covered - i am interested in knowing what you think the best dive watches are - and any that are also good formevryday wear

thanks, green

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom