Night lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ebenburger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have done a number of night dives which I really enjoy. Question is what is the best type of light to use: LED or the old fashioned bulb? The type of light makes a huge difference and once you're down you can't change it. Any ideas?

Night dives are great (that's why I like caves). I actually use an HID cannister light, but my back-up lights are SL-4's. One is LED and one is Xenon (old fashioned), so you can have both, just take two lights (which is a good idea anyway), one of each type.

Personally I like the whiter light of the LED's and HID's.

Safe diving,

John

HID / LED's produce a higher color temperature (measured in Kelvin) and produce a much hotter "spot". LED/HID is also far more efficient than halogen and incandescent, have longer bulb life, and longer burn times. The problem with HID is: They are more expensive, and more fragile than LED.

LEDs- RELATIVELY cheap, very long lasting (as bulbs go) run for ages on a given battery.

Thanks a lot for the advise. Seems like cost is not the answer here, but rather pay more to ensure safety and a good experience !

eden .... HID is amazing in comparison .... the "traditional" are NOT poor compared to most LEDS .... the newer LEDS are NOT poor compared to the HIDS, but there is NO comparison from ANY HID to any "traditional" light. depending on what your vis is going to be, you may NOT need the cutting power and brightness of an HID .... a high end LED may be good enough.

i am NOT a scuba shop but i do trade a lot in the scuba board classifieds section. i have bought and sold many HIDS and am pretty content with my current stock. i use a cannister HID for my primary, a handheld HID for my 2nd primary, and an LED for my backup. i may be willing to part with my handheld HID which takes 8 AA batteries (easy for you to access) if you were interested just to assist a newer "darkdiver" but it is not my intent to "make a sale." personally, i believe the vis you have over there probably doesnt warrant the need for HID.

best of luck and dive safe

pm me if you have questions as i rarely check these threads.

LED is perfect for handheld and backup lights. Their higher effieciency means more light for any given set of batteries. There is no real drawback except limits on output at current technology.

The output from an an LED is bluer than than a Xenon bulb's, and seems to create increased contrast with deeper shadow, but that might be my imagination.

The beam pattern vaires light to light depending more on the optics than the type of bulb used, so it's something to consider whatever you buy.

In the end, buy whatever works for you, but for night diving in high viz on tropical reefs don't think that brighter is always better. My best night dives have been lit by the moon and my LED mini Q40 light, allowing my eyes to adjust to the low ambient light. I use the light only to pick up reflective attention getters like shrimp eyes, and as a focusing light for my camera. This way I don't scare off the critters and with my eyes adjusted see far more than I ever did with a bright dive light.

.... depending on what your vis is going to be, you may NOT need the cutting power and brightness of an HID .... a high end LED may be good enough. ...

No doubt. We did a night dive in Coz once....we all had our traditional and LED lights. One diver jumped in with his new fancy HID light....and I swear...it was like that scene in Close Encounters when Roy got his sunburn in his pickup truck and the ufo was lighting things up with that column of light....man that light was bright. It was pretty cool though....:wink:

Well, I decided to have one of each kind.

But there's no doubt that led, hid and bulbs make a difference - specially if you're planning to take some u/w pics.

I think it's all about personal preference. I use my LED during the day, and my SL-6 at night. I bring them both at night but have found I just like the SL-6 more. It's the color of the light, and the more intense directed beam. My LED has a broader beam and the refraction off particulate is annoying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom