Malapascua: Volunteering for the Thresher Shark Research Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rramaley

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks,

Just wanted to say that I have decided to lend a hand with the Thresher Shark Research Project in Malapascua for a few weeks this coming January. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has volunteered for this, either in the past (to hear about their experiences) or those who plan to be there in January.

My experience with the individuals who run this project has been extremely positive thus far. There are very well organised, responsive, friendly and passionate about what they do so I can't wait to join the team. Expect a full report upon my return.

If you want to know more about the program, refer to this link:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tr...xpeditions-volunteer-research-assistants.html

I'm sorry to say this again, as I always do when these posts pop up, but you are certainly paying one hell of a lot for being a volunteer for scientific work! It's about 65$ a day, to be WORKING for a research project (about the cost of living plus 2 recreational dives a day on vacation there). Knowing what it generally costs there, you are paying quite a bit more than the minimum Cost (room, air fills, fuel, etc...) to do this. Which means they will be making a profit off of you!! Yes, a profit off of you, the volunteer! Being a scientist, this pretty much scandalises me. In general, in the scientific world, volunteers are treated with respect and we always try to minimise costs to these very generous people... But not make a profit off of them! We profit from the labour they give us which is often sorely needed!

Unfortunately, I've seen this setup too many times where people are using the term volunteer to attract people with good will and a good bank acount. And it always seems to be related to sharks:cool2:! They probably wouldn't get the same turnout if they were studying Nudibranches! What it really is is a "scientific diving vacation" that you are paying for. You will be paying for the diving as well as paying to get to participate in this program. Basically, you are financing this program through your participation. And that is definetly not what I call a volunteer...:shakehead:

The website doesn't tell you exactly how much diving you'll be doing or what tasks you will be assigned. It might be a legit scientific research project. But often these have no problem finding university students willing to volunteer for the work (but they definetly can't pay from their pockets to help with the project)

This said, I have no problem with offering this kind of "vacation" except for the use of the term "Volunteer" in order to reel in people. This is a product they are selling for profit. The final goal might be a good one (financing their research); I don't know.... But at least say it as it is! They are looking for divers willing to pay to dive with threshers and help in studying them! Not volunteers...

I appologise to all those who have read my previous rants about these "vacations" that are popping up around the world and getting a whole bunch of very enthusiastic (and weathly:eyebrow:) people thinking they are volunteering for science. But I find it a very misleading marketting ploy and it really gets to me. Maybe that's because of all the times I've volunteered as a student for studies. I was broke and so were the researchers, but they always appreciated the work I did and went out of their way to minimise any and all costs to me!

Not trying to offend anyone, but I feel I need to share the way I see it!

Cheers!

Hello all, I just taken a look at their website, seems legit to me.

One aspect of their research seems to be looking at the impact of diving tourism on Thresher patterns and behaivour. Now that seems like a good cause. Although based on my limited experience there (trip in April this year), there are way too many divers going down there every morning with great anticipation of seeing these beautiful creatures and having missioned many a mile to get there for this reason. It was way too crowded, and obviously its a big draw card but is being over-marketed and milked dry by operators there.

They do seem to have liaison with local universities, perhaps they want foreigner volunteers beause they come well equipped and with mean$?

my 2 cents..

i was looking at the website as well and thought this was very interesting. i was even thinking of signing up for this next year.

but i'd have to agree with the valid point that Codman raised. the price is pretty steep - and we don't know how exactly that "living cost" is broken down.

it may become a challenge to re-name this as a "holiday" or "vacation" because doing the same dives over and over will not be fun in a 4 week period (or maybe longer). thus, i think volunteer is the more apt term. and it is for scientific research after all.

my little experience of doing volunteer work here in the philippines has always been shelling out as much as i can afford. working with street kids, etc. the organization seldom has the resource to fund the volunteers.

that having said, i think i'd still sign up for this (i hope) even if i am doing it at a (financial) loss. at that budget, id be better of diving tubbattaha.

reminds me of an overseas "out-of-the classroom" education training where students are referred to as volunteers as well. they pay $20k for the entire course so they can help build houses for the poor in less fortunate countries and live among these less fortunate people....

The people running this project posted a while back and the same topic was discussed as well.

While I don't agree with volunteers paying to help complete someone's research, at least this group has done well to get involved with the local NGOs and academia. Unlike other research groups who do their research in seclusion and then leave once they have their data.

I agree with what Codman and Glenver said - it's really a holiday vacation while doing something helpful as well. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt...maybe they need to call it a "volunteer" research assistant position for funding support and study credibility purposes. This is really meant to target foreigners rather than locals.

Last edited:
I have a research project of my own scheduled in the near future.....
You pay us $20K and you can help me study how long it takes to build a resort. You can even carry hollow blocks, mix cement, lay tile, plant flowers, clean dive gear, and we even feed you. Now, who could resist an offer like that? This is offered for a limited time only.....cash only.

<waiting for the phone to ring off the hook any moment now>

Back
Top Bottom