Have you been to Fiji AND Palau??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swnicholson

Registered
Reaction score
This summer I'm going to spend 2 months in either Fiji or Palau, just relaxing and diving.

There are three main considerations:

1) Diving: I suspect that I would enjoy Palau more, maybe because I would see more big stuff.

2) Island Life: My impression is that the Fijians are a warm and kind people. I've heard nothing about the Palauans. Any comments?

3) Cost: Day to day living expenses should be a lot less in Fiji.

Does anyone have any advice about how to make this decision, based on these factors???

What island did you go to in Fiji???

Thanks for your advice!!!

Scott

I haven't personaly been to Palau, but have some friends that have. The diving, I've been told is alot different to Fiji. At Palau, you can dive in the inner island Brine lakes, with jellyfish. It is not like Fiji, with as much coral reefs and sandy beaches, which is alot like Tonga. Fiji has alot of reef life, similiar to many South Pacific reef life, but the island are spread out and the variety comes from the outer islands, where there is great pelagic marine life.
Alot of your descision should also be based on your down time. Both island chains will be slower than you will be used to, and most visitors and expats do alot of bar-hopping after they have exhausted the tourism itch. But Fiji will definately have more to do, with a larger population & 2 main islands and outer islands in easy reach.
There are great party island resorts like Beachcombers that you can go out to for the day for a charge, but they are expensive, so take alot of 'clams' for the trip. Also, the larger islands have a surprising number of inland villages to visit, and jungle walks,etc.
Hope that helps
Cheers New Ears,
The one and only
Gasman

swnicholson once bubbled...
This summer I'm going to spend 2 months in either Fiji or Palau, just relaxing and diving.

There are three main considerations:

1) Diving: I suspect that I would enjoy Palau more, maybe because I would see more big stuff.

2) Island Life: My impression is that the Fijians are a warm and kind people. I've heard nothing about the Palauans. Any comments?

3) Cost: Day to day living expenses should be a lot less in Fiji.

Does anyone have any advice about how to make this decision, based on these factors???

What island did you go to in Fiji???

Thanks for your advice!!!

Scott

Diving with Crystal Divers off of both Vanua Balavu and the northern tip of Viti Levu, I've seen as much big stuff in Fiji as I've seen in Palau off the Aggressor. However, Fiji has offered a lot more in soft corals and little critters than Palau, but that may be a characteristic of the dive operators, not the two island groups. One difference for sure, though - in two months you can dive every site in Palau but you'll never do it in Fiji.

As for the people and costs, I don't know except to note that the Fijians are friendly.

Growing up on Guam, I have had many Palauan friends over the years. One of my best friends in high school was Palauan. Palauans, like pretty much all islanders are friendly, really laid back and easygoing. In Guam, Palauans have a reputation of being the friendlier of the islanders from the micronesian islands. I haven't been to Fiji, but I can imagine it is more touristy than Palau. Palau is a great place, for the diving obviously, but the scenery of the rock islands, mood, the locals, jellyfish lake (unique to the world) definitely add to the experience.

I'm planning on staying a month in Palau in December/January. I talked to some people about just dropping me and a friend off on a rock island and picking us up every few days or so for diving, fishing, and to deliver supplies. I am going to bring all my own camping gear, fishing poles, etc. so we can be self sufficient during our stay. We are also going to rent kayaks to keep at our campsite so we can explore some of the other rock islands and maybe also use them for fishing in the deeper waters. I've heard some really cool stories from people who have camped out on the rock islands... first off, you're in the middle of nowhere on your own private deserted island. You can snorkel around the lagoons when you're not diving. There must be millions of stars in the sky with zero light pollution. On full moon nights, all the land crabs come out and line the beach, and you can also catch them for food. On one night, a friend told me he watched as a turtle came ashore to lay eggs. He also told me, whenver he wanted to see sharks, he would gut and clean his fish in the water and small reef sharks would gather around in the lagoon. And the best of all, you totally lose track of time :)

ps: if you're into 4:20, palau is known for some premium stuff for only $2 a joint.

Back
Top Bottom