Which computer? Suggestions much appreciated.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwoolever

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi - I want to buy my boyfriend a wrist computer for Christmas. I think I am btwn the Cressi Sub Edy, Aeris Manta and Mares Nemo. I am a pretty new diver, but he is more experienced. We probably go on two dive vacations a year, 2-3 dives a day up to 100 ft open water. I picked the three after some research and bc of the pricing.

I would love some input from someone who is a bit more experienced than myself being that I have never bought a computer.

Thanks!!

Hello and welcome to SB

I don't have any personal experience with the computers you name, so I'm just going to throw Suunto Gekko in there as something else for you to consider - it should meet the requirements you describe and is reasonably priced and easy to use, maintain & read. I use a Suunto Vyper, which is basically the same unit but does nitrox, which probably isn't necessary for the diving you talk about

There are plenty of threads in this forum listing people's likes and dislikes, and I'm sure others will chime in here too

Thank you! Will check it out. One more question - how important is it to have an air integrated comp and get one that has the wireless air technology. I feel like I would not be comfortable with it in case of some kind of communication glitch and would rather stick with what I know. As a more experienced diver, what do you think? What would you want?

One more vote for the Suunto Vyper. I've had it for about 2 years (100 dives or so) and never had a problem. When I bough it, I didn't think I needed Nitrox capability and then, the same year, I did! So, it's good to have.

I would not bother with AI if I were you. I agree with your concerns plus it would add considerably to the price of the computer.

Since you live in NYC, you should check out Leisure Pro. While they are not a Suunto authorized retailer, they match Suunto's warranty and their prices are unbeatable. I think the original Vyper goes for $315 or so.

I would really caution against buying someone a dive computer unless they have actually told you the exact brand and model they want. Most computers can do the same things, but they may do it using completely different methods. Some, like Suunto, are more conservative at their least conservative setting, than say an Aeris. This may have the effect of one computer showing less available bottom time than another. So it is kind of a personal decision as to how conservative you want your computer to be at it's least conservative setting. There's also the issue of style being subjective. Some may not want to admit it, but looks count.

As for wireless AI. . . I use it, I like it, I've had no problems. Wireless AI's do cost more. In case I have a problem with a transmitter I carry a back-up analog SPG in my save-a-dive. Whether it's a transmitter, HP hose and guage, computer, etc., everything is capable of having a problem. It's diving, just plan for it.

I would really caution against buying someone a dive computer unless they have actually told you the exact brand and model they want.

Good advice. Or at least make sure you have the flexibility to do part exchange.

I dive with two computers - a Suunto D9 on my wrist and a Sherwood Profile on my gauges. I have to say, heresey though it might be, I prefer my old Profile. The D9 may be sexier, gas switching, pretty graphs and all that, but those Suuntos are just too damn conservative. Plus the Suunto cost 5 times a much (even without the air integrated transmitter).

I would go for the Cress Archimedes II. Easy to read, nitrox, simple, and inexpensive. It's not small enough to be worn as a watch like some of the others. I bought mine based on my LDS owner using one, and I like it enough that I got one for my wife.

I don't have any personal experience with the computers you name, so I'm just going to throw Suunto Gekko in there as something else for you to consider - it should meet the requirements you describe and is reasonably priced and easy to use, maintain & read. I use a Suunto Vyper, which is basically the same unit but does nitrox, which probably isn't necessary for the diving you talk about
@Tortuga68: The Suunto Gekko is a nitrox-capable computer. Suunto marketing says that you cannot download dive profiles from the Gekko; however, there are ways to do this...use Google to find out how. AFAIK, the only difference between the Gekko and the Vyper is that the Vyper has a gauge mode. This would be useful for divers who might need to use it as a bottom timer. The Gekko is substantially cheaper than the Vyper.

I agree with Tortuga68's recommendation of the Gekko. It's simple, easy to read, and reasonably priced.

@Tortuga68: The Suunto Gekko is a nitrox-capable computer. Suunto marketing says that you cannot download dive profiles from the Gekko; however, there are ways to do this...use Google to find out how. AFAIK, the only difference between the Gekko and the Vyper is that the Vyper has a gauge mode. This would be useful for divers who might need to use it as a bottom timer. The Gekko is substantially cheaper than the Vyper.

I agree with Tortuga68's recommendation of the Gekko. It's simple, easy to read, and reasonably priced.

Yes Bubbletrubble, the Gekko is nitrox capable, and yes Tortuga it is a simple and easy to use computer. Here is the link to the Aqualung website Gekko page:

Gekko

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom