South Leyte - Anilao - Puerto Galera Safari: Info help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IceIce

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I haven't been logging in for a long time, so sorry if I stumble here and there or break any rules I don't know.

So far, I only dive around Asia, beside being more affordable because I stay in Asia, it's also the best diving triangle in the world between Indonesia, Malaysia and Phillippine.

Planning to have 2 weeks diving and want to look into possiblity of diving in South Leyte-Anilao & Puerto Galera. I dived in Donsol and San Miquel before and fell in love with the hospitality of the people and the food.
I'll be diving with my husband, few friends will join us if they can make it.

Here is my planned ittenary from some research according to the flight schedule I got early this year (I have been drooling on this for looooong time!)

Arrive at Cebu around morning time (5-6am) on Saturday.

Sunday : from Cebu, land & ferry transfer to South Leyte
(sample of ittenerary show that we can't do anything the whole Saturday, my preference is to be able to go directly to South Leyte without the need of staying overnight in Cebu if possible?).

Sunday - Thursday : 12 day dives, 3 night dives (max), South Leyte

Friday : Check out and catch afternoon flight to Manila

Saturday - Tuesday : 12 day dives, 4 night dives (max). Anilao

Between this two points there's transfer between Anilao to
Puerto Galero

Wednesday - Friday : 9 days dives, 2 night dives (max), Puerto Galera

Saturday : Go back time.

I'm looking to dive around March or April 2009, hopefully it's the good season?

South Leyte my goal is to do whaleshark diving. In Donsol, I snorkeled with them (fantastic!) but never get a chance to see them during diving (will looooove to!), and some people told me South Leyte is so called a guarantee place to dive with them.

I enjoy taking photography and a macro lovers, appreciate those small facinating creatures and I heard Anilao/Puerto Galera are some of the bests. I can spend 1 to 2 hours every dive if possible looking for them, just to be with them and taking pictures.
I greedily believe in making as many dives within safety in my trip.

Despite all the drooling, money is concern so I want to look for affordable diving.

Also, lately I heard baggage allowance for flights in Phillippine is only 15kg?
:depressed: both of our luggage so far manage to squeeze into 45-50 kg for 2, but I'll be upgrading my camera so can expect another 10 kg or more...ouch...

Any info or helps appreciated. Mostly I wish to know whether this plan is effective in term of dive site hopping and the traveling time and of course the rates. I put in possibility to take out South Leyte, because I know Anilao and Puerto Galero get along in plan quite well, but frankly, I will love to see the gentle butanding during diving.

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Cheers,
Ice

it looks like a great itinerary... although i would do 9 dives in anilao and 12 in puerto galera -only because there's more of a night life in PG so there's no risk of getting bored in anilao

otherwise both are excellent diving...

april-march is perfect diving weather - have fun!

Jag

Thanks for the tip!
I used to hear a lot of good diving in Anilao but recently PG stand out more from some testimonial. Haven't been to any so it's good to know.

Do you have info for good dive operator?

I don't think march - april is the time when whalesharks pass through Sogod Bay? I'd double check that first. I thought it was Dec-Feb.

The cebu - hilongos (leyte) ferry doesn't run as frequent (twice a day and I believe they leave in late afternoon/evening). Ask the resort in leyte that you'll be staying with and they'll be able to tell you. You could take a fast craft ferry from cebu to ormoc as well, so you have quite a few options of getting to Leyte.

yah, Bohol is inside the SOuth Leyte since that is the place for whale shark to appear? Not so sure though. The friend that I know suggest us to go Malapascua + Anilao instead because he says PG is quite over dived already. Is it true? ANyone been there lately.

Chip104, where is Sogod Bay? It would be good if I can have the info of the ferry schedule. Thanks!

IceIceBaby.gif

for the luggage allowance- you can check in more than 15kg but there's an extra charge for that. prepay your baggage in advance- online and at least two days before your scheduled flight- so you can save some money on fees.

anilao is awesome for macro life- you will love it there. malapascua is very laidback and detached and thresher shark sightings (and mantas as well) are hit and miss thing- though a lot of people were lucky enough to see them (i wasn't).

PG is still nice- its one of the really few places in PI were diving is varied.

Yah, that's the thing about pelagic, depends on the luck.
That's why So far I give Malapascua a miss, still can't dive without macro. But I read from another post here which the poster said he saw so and so in Malapascua, mostly all the gems we can find in macro/muck diving, that kind of convince me to give it a try if I can't stick to my original ittenary.

Hammerhead, believe it or not, that's my real name. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom