Boat Ownership

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhelmy

Reaction score
If you own a boat and scuba dive, do you bring a boat sitter with you, while you and your buddy go down. Or do you just anchor the boat and put out a note on that states you are diving and when you expect to return ? I am on Lake Michigan. Last year I spent as much on charter fees as my boat loan as I wasn't sure about the sitter issue.

might want to read a classic UP anchored boat story or two.....

wetman once bubbled...
We tie it up when we take it somewhere that we can tie to shore. But as far as leaving it unattended and anchored in the middle of the lake, i think there may be laws against that, at least where we are from.

steve

.........musta missed that rule when I wrote my boating license.....We usually leave a dive flag out and of course drag one with us if we are anymore than 50' from the boat. The boat of course is anchored, and usually empty.

You know, it's curious you should ask this question. I've been doing a lot of reading about kayak diving in Florida and wondered how it could possibly apply up here in Canada. I own a small 14' sailing dinghy which is certainly stable enough for myself and someone else to dive off of (although, perhaps not with all the equipment some of you likely bring) so I actually posted this question to an internal scuba newsgroup where I work. Below is the original post (me) asking the question, and the interspersed replies.

Here's a few questions I can't seem to find the answer to, and I'm hoping someone here could possibly share some insight

1) Would/should/must freedivers (that is, without the use of scuba equipment, and often at lesser depths) use dive flags or marker buoys while diving? [If a "must", please direct me to the appropriate regulation].

This would depend on what location in the world your in. Most freediving that you see on TV will have the camera crew in SCUBA, The use of the flag indicates that diving is taking place and boats are to stay a certain distance from it. (It also acts as a marker for skidoo's), Look at the Transport Canada Website under Marine transportation.

2) If the freediving was taking place from a small boat as a "dive platform", can the boat display the dive flag? Which would be preferable, the red-and-white, the Code Flag A, day shapes, or what combination of above? Especially if the boat would be unmanned while the divers were away?
Would/should/must there also be dive buoy(s) in the water even if the dive were taking place within 50 horizontal feet of the boat with the flag or other symbol?

This is the preferred method, The Alfa flag is international and most people don't recognize it. Dive buoys are optional as the boat is the entry and exit point. The boat has to be manned, if not it is a violation of marine safety. At night a combination of lights is to be displayed(not sure of the combination or colours)

3) If displayed on a boat, must the dive flag be rigid or can it be
flexible (ie. a true "flag")?
Should be flexible for the wind.

(end of other newsgroup posting)

You know, the author of the replies is absolutely correct. It is against International Collision Regulations for any vessel to be left unattended as vessels are required to "maintain a watch or other lookout" even while anchored or moored. Just because we see it all the time, doesn't mean it's right, and someday the Coast Guard will crack down on unmanned boats big time.

Rhelmy... Safety and commen sense should rule over a legislation on this one. When you dive from a boat there should be somebody that knows how to operate the boat and radio on board at all times. It is nice to surface and actually still have a boat to board. This is also a good practice in case there is a dive accident and the dive buddy can tend the diver while the sitter drives the boat.

Free Float..... It is called a DIVER DOWN flag. Not a Scuba Diver Down. You can free dive under the same flag.

I can always find someone willing to work on thier tan. Boat sitter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom