Drysuit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awd-turbo

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Kinda new to this site, so i guess this goes here. I am starting to dive dry.. I have been diving for a long time, but never went dry, i could stand the cold. I went dry like a month ago, and i dont think i will go back.. haha.. but every time i dive, my feet get real floaty, and i also found that i have to wear a lot of weight to stay down(doesnt help that i am diving an alum tank i kow)!! i know some people like gators. do they help that much? how much weight should i using? I weight 175lbs, am 5'9, and i am only 9% body fat if that! and i am using 28lbs!! fresh water!!

I just started diving dry as well, and on my first two dives (I've now done six), I felt the floaty feet issue. I would break trim and get my feet down, just at alleviate the issue for a few moments. On my third and fourth dives, I didn't notice any issues at all....fifth and sixth were the same. I'm pretty sure that what is working for me now is that I'm only putting enough air in my suit to relieve the squeeze. If I need any additional help in buoyancy (which I tend not to, because as it turns out, the amount of air I need to reduce squeeze is pretty much the amount of air I need to be neutral....), then I add air to my wing.

The first couple dives, I was putting a little air in the wing, but most of the air in my suit. This is the only time I felt the floaty feet issue. As soon as I used the suit solely to relieve the squeeze and keep me dry and warm, then I stopped having the floaty issue.

Are you using the drysuit for buoyancy at depth? If so, I would suggest trying out using it only to relieve squeeze, and use your wing for the rest of it. If you're already doing it that way, I don't have enough experience to give you any further suggestions. Hope this helps though!

As for your weighting....I'm not sure. I know that I was properly weighted for diving wet, and I ended up adding 6-8 pounds to dive dry, and that has worked....but I have not done a "proper" weight check since then.

Did you guys go Neoprene or trilam ? I have also been considering going dry this year and not sure if I should go with Neoprene or Trilam ? I have been looking at the Mares icefit. neoprene

The "floaty feet" is something I have heard from every person I have ever been around the first time they have been in a dry suit. A lot of it has to do with the proper fitting of the dry suit. If the boots are too big, then a lot of air can get in there, and cause issues.

Kinda new to this site, so i guess this goes here. I am starting to dive dry.. I have been diving for a long time, but never went dry, i could stand the cold. I went dry like a month ago, and i dont think i will go back.. haha.. but every time i dive, my feet get real floaty, and i also found that i have to wear a lot of weight to stay down(doesnt help that i am diving an alum tank i kow)!! i know some people like gators. do they help that much? how much weight should i using? I weight 175lbs, am 5'9, and i am only 9% body fat if that! and i am using 28lbs!! fresh water!!
28 pounds isn't unreasonable to sink a drysuit; steel tanks are the cat's meow.
Rick

In freshwater with an aluminum tank I use 16 pounds of weight in total. (DUI TLS350,ratty old fleece for undergarments) I'm around 190 and 6 feet.
A stainless BP is a good way to get some weight of your belt.

I dove a neoprene for 9 years, this year I got a shell suit. I like the shell better because I can use it in warmer water depending on what I wear under it and I didn't need as much lead. My neoprene started leaking at the seams, I heard they only last about 10 years.

wow thanks guys... yea that weight included my 6lb ss dive rite plate.. I ordered a trilam suit, but i have been diving a viking suit for the past couple of dives. I tend to only use enough air to relieve the "pressure" and more air in my wing. I also have a bad tendance to tilt forward and pull the dump valve on the wing to release air. i think this is what is getting me in trouble!! but when my suit comes in we will see.. I was just looking for opinions, and thanks for all the help!!! i do have a 3xl boot, so i guess i should wear extra thick socks to take in some of that space?!?!?!? i was only wearing sports socks...

wow thanks guys... yea that weight included my 6lb ss dive rite plate.. I ordered a trilam suit, but i have been diving a viking suit for the past couple of dives. I tend to only use enough air to relieve the "pressure" and more air in my wing. I also have a bad tendance to tilt forward and pull the dump valve on the wing to release air. i think this is what is getting me in trouble!! but when my suit comes in we will see.. I was just looking for opinions, and thanks for all the help!!! i do have a 3xl boot, so i guess i should wear extra thick socks to take in some of that space?!?!?!? i was only wearing sports socks...

My suit's boots are a tight fit, but when I started out I was wearing really thick socks and it was making my feet float. I fixed the problem by wearing thinner socks.

I do know several people who swear by the gaitors. It matters most in drysuits that have thick legs and ankles like the Dive Rite--on my DUI TLS350 I don't have that problem so I never used them. Depending on the suit design the gaiters may be just what you need.

I started using a drysuit right after open water last May. I use 26 pounds with a AL80 and about 7-8 pounds less with a steel 130. The more thermo undies i wear the more weight I use, so that's always a factor to consider. Floaty feet can also be caused by to much air in the suit, or the suit not being vented fast enough. Common causes for new drysuit divers and one I faced a bit as well. I dive a Trilam and I use just enough air to be comfy and thats it. Remember your dry suit is not a bcd unless an emergency. I pull off the squeeze just enough so I don't sound like Micheal Jackson. Your drysuit boot should be atleast one size bigger unless your planning to never need socks for colder water diving. I keep my dump valve on full and it vents alot easier on ascents. Ascent with a more longer gradual climb where you stay horizontal longer can be a trick for a new drysuit diver when it comes to releasing the air. If you get that feeling your fins are about to pop off, all likely hood chances are you have way to much air in your suit, or your upside down...lol...Just keep practicing.

I don't know much about gators, but I do know someone who cold water dives and said he quit using them becuase they kept the suit ti close to his legs and they got cold faster if that makes sense, may not be in your case tho.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom