How small is your SAC?

What is your SAC rate?

• Below 0.30 cu ft/min (I have the lungs of a mouse)

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • 0.30 - 0.39 cu ft/min

Votes: 13 7.3%
  • 0.40 - 0.49 cu ft/min

Votes: 44 24.6%
  • 0.50 - 0.59 cu ft/min

Votes: 40 22.3%
  • 0.60 - 0.69 cu ft/min

Votes: 39 21.8%
  • 0.70 - 0.79 cu ft/min

Votes: 15 8.4%
  • 0.80 cut ft/min or above (Mr Balloon Lungs)

Votes: 9 5.0%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 13 7.3%
  • What is a SAC rate?

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Been a lot of posts on SB lately about SAC rates, so it might be fun to have a highly unscientific poll. Not sure what Sigmund Freud would make of everybody comparing their SACs...

Sorry, didn't think to put metric units in, but one cubic foot equals 28.316847 litres. Apparently.

And before all the tec divers start asking, I think we mean bottom time SAC rate rather than sitting on a line doing deco SAC rate.

Generally speaking, between .5 and .65, but I'll vote for 0.60 - 0.69

It does still depend entirely on the type and conditions of the dive. I will vote using an average and not perfect or terrible conditions.

Average of .50 to .59 ft3/min. Cold or strenuous conditions closer to .65 and sitting in place over a warm water reef waiting for a photo opportunity closer to.45

Warm water/cave -- generally an overall SAC rate of around .45 ft3/minute

Cold water (home) -- generally an overall SAC rate of around .55 ft3/minute

These figures are taken from the info downloaded from my beloved AI Cobra.

My vote reflected a general average SAC.

Probably the most accurate measurements I have are from the caves in Mexico, where I swim steadily at depths that don't vary much. (NoHoch, for example). SAC rate there is in the low .3's. Ginnie Springs is another story altogether . . .

Gas consumption at home, in cold water, is more in the low to mid .4's. I don't know why cold water raises my gas consumption, but it does.

Probably the most accurate measurements I have are from the caves in Mexico, where I swim steadily at depths that don't vary much. (NoHoch, for example). SAC rate there is in the low .3's. Ginnie Springs is another story altogether . . .

Gas consumption at home, in cold water, is more in the low to mid .4's. I don't know why cold water raises my gas consumption, but it does.

Just downloaded my latest five profiles and calculated my SAC between 0.38 and 0.44 cubic feet per minute....then I downloaded my first five proviles and calculated my SAC over 0.8 cubic feet per minute. I was happy with my progress.

Now that I'm diving dry and starting to get comfortable with it, I think it will be in the high 0.3 range....no more shivering and sucking down air hopefully!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom