Things which I wished Ikelite made

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AussieByron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Over a few beers one afternoon myself and a couple of other Ikelite users discussed many things which we wished Ikelite made. It was an interesting discussion and something worth while in posting since there is an Ikelite representative in the forum.

Here are few that I could remember:

* Glass in front of ports (ie glass dome or glass flat port)
* Modeling light attachment screw hole or ball joint on top of housing.
* Ports to screw into housings instead of two little plastic clips
* Larger opening in housing for larger lenses (some lenses are phyically too wide to fit in)
* Relocation of sync cord bulkhead away from the rear of housing
* floation arms for strobes. Especially with DS200
*View finder extensions. user replaceable and offer magnifaction, 45 degree, 90 degree. Have something like a screw in system like the new modular ports.
* Lithium Ion batteries used in strobes
*Upgrade of the DS200 like they did to the DS125/DS160
*Flood alarm inside housing
*Aluminium body for housings
*LED modeling light separate from strobes which turns off when firing and has a decent battery life

It would be interesting what other Ikelite users would also wished Ikelite also made for their setups.

Regards Aussie

Why not just get all these things in a Seatools or Sea and Sea housing and Inon strobes?

How's about a sync cable so I could run 2 DS-51's from 1 manual controller. This very problem is sending me to INON.

Jim

Why not just get all these things in a Seatools or Sea and Sea housing and Inon strobes?

I believe that why alot of people are buy other brands.

I woul like to see some improvements on an already good product to make it an excellent product which would be comparable to other brands which cost alot more.

Regards Aussie

Well I think Ike's niche is to make a cost effective housing - something in between the el-cheapo's and the Seatools.

For every item you ask on your list, it will drive the cost of the housing up.

Heya Mark,

You know, my housing/strobes cover most of the things you mentioned there! I'll let you have a play with it when I come down for a dive!

As Tienuts said, Ike have their market set being cost effective, which is ovbiously working well for them. Would you be willing to pay more to have all the aditions you mentioned, in an Ike housing though? Or would you just go for a different/more expensive alimunium housing?

Ryan.

Last edited:
Aussie and others,

As a long time user myself (1,000s of dives with Ikelite products) and dealer who can show people how to get the MOST out of their housings I listen to people's suggestions. A lot of perceived problems are solved through techniques I teach customers when they first get their gear. I'm not perfect and no product from any manufacturer is, so take the next comments with a grain of salt so to speak. You can agree or disagree, just my 2 cents.

But here's some answers to each of your suggestions from my own experience.

* Glass in front of ports (i.e. glass dome or glass flat port)

I have argued over on the high end UW photo web sites with technically minded folks that glass is heavy, and no one can show me how this improves image quality in the real world in huge prints or elsewhere. One person says that in over / under shooting glass sheds water droplets faster (or better?). Everyone I know shooting any brand optical plexi port simply uses Baby shampoo :) Norbert Wu in his review of 3 brand for his Nikon D200 cameras over use of a year gave Ikelite's 8" dome port the best marks. Heck, he's using it in Antarctica!

* Modeling light attachment screw hole or ball joint on top of housing.

This IS something I have asked for. Especially now with Ikelite's LED lights in small sizes.

* Ports to screw into housings instead of two little plastic clips

I've also argued this one to no end. I have sold dozens to hundreds of dSLR housings. Plus used numerous models myself. The new port lock system has worked fine all over the world. Jumping in for dolphin snorkeling, cold and warm water diving, etc. Read the UW photo web site forums and you'll see people flooding thread-in ports, bayonet ports, etc. Maybe some day a change will come where Ikelite users can still use all their ports. But for now this simple design works when the user is shown how to mount it and make sure it's on.

One more thing on this......Ikelite housings are stainless steel and plastic. So "soaking" it versus turning controls and pumping buttons for 90 seconds to flush out salt water is a waste of time IMHO :) Anyone leaving ANY housing in a rinse tank without holding it is crazy. I see 99% of flood of any brand housings in rinse tanks.

* Larger opening in housing for larger lenses (some lenses are phyically too wide to fit in)

The few larger diameter lenses are ridiculously expensive and the wide angle rectilinear zooms will NEVER be as sharp in the corners as any fisheye due to a dome port's apparent image being curved, etc. You're probably referring to the Nikon 14-24mm or one or two odd super macro lenses. Not the majority of lenses that top out at 72mm or 77mm. Do you know how expensive it is to buy a new mold? And how many people who are perfectly happy with the extensive port selections for camera brand and after market lenses already exist?

* Relocation of sync cord bulkhead away from the rear of housing

Would be nice, but most users would either not install the hot shoe all the way and then not test shoot their systems while high and dry to catch this gaff. I've seen people at 50' with no flash firing in all brand housings.....It's digital folks, YOu can take a dozen test shots before you jump in and delete them all after the dive or whole day.

Or they would yank the hot shoe cord out when pulling the housing back off :( I've seen it done with other brand housings.

* flotation arms for strobes. Especially with DS200

Ikelite's DS160 is now the main model providing plenty of light with the ever reaching higher ISO performance in many dSLR models. The DS200 while a nice strobe is almost overkill.

*View finder extensions. user replaceable and offer magnifaction, 45 degree, 90 degree. Have something like a screw in system like the new modular ports.

Every time i see those "Pinnochio" eyepieces I cringe. Something just waiting to take a good smack and have a 1" fire hose of water shooting in your housing. A 45 degree EXTERNAL add on might be nice, but would you pay $600 - $1,000 for one? I wouldn't........I lay the camera in the sand and hover upside down and pull the trigger multiple times :)

* Lithium Ion batteries used in strobes

Not enough energy density yet to provide super quick recycle time to power output. Maybe someday....

*Upgrade of the DS200 like they did to the DS125/DS160

I don't promote the DS200 as the DS160 is the best power / weight / performance ratio IMHO.

*Flood alarm inside housing

It's clear.......I look immediately upon entering the water and then descend to get some pressure on the housing. My eyes are my leak detector :) I don't want another battery powered gizmo plus wires, space taken up in the housing, etc.

*Aluminium body for housings

Weight, corrosion, higher cost, opaque so you can't see what control you're trying to change or God forbid water coming in somewhere? Etc. Etc. Etc. I'll keep using plastic housings but then I don't dive below about 140' these days.

*LED modeling light separate from strobes which turns off when firing and has a decent battery life

The DS160 LED modeling light DOES cut out during exposure. Although I've yet to see anyone using the previous model separate LED modeling lights were it overpowered their mega blitz strobe going off. One hour of burn time (like on a night dive) barely takes 1/3 of a fully charged battery pack on the DS125 and now DS160. I use mine as my main illumination for night dives!

Finally, these comments are mine exclusively and not meant to offend anyone. Just thought I would add my perspective :)

dhaas

David Haas Underwater Photography

I just want to add a few things:

Most of the flat ports on our compact digital and video housings are glass. All of are SLR flat ports are plexiglass. The cost to get high-quality glass of this size is so high that it would easily double the cost of our flat ports for no considerable optical advantage.

We are working on optional viewfinders and LED modeling light options for dSLR housings. We did a half-aluminum half-plastic housing for a couple of the first dSLR cameras with no real success.

Lithium ion batteries are excellent for a lot of purposes, but NiMH batteries actually provide faster recycle times when used in strobes.

The DS200 strobe is pretty close to neutrally buoyant, and actually more positive than most underwater strobes on the market.

We always appreciate suggestions. We continually look for ways to improve things without driving product prices up or limiting our ability to support such a wide variety of camera models.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

I realize the focus of this thread has been camera housings. I'm not a photographer, but there is one Ikelite product category I'm interested in, and I think there would be a market for. See ACCESSORY CASE

Existing small Ikelite utility case good to 300 ft that LP can sell for $20.

How about a couple of larger sizes. I'll leave exact specs to Ikelite product research, but I see two directions:
1) Same aspect ratio, big enough for an EPIRB, or Marine radio, GPS, cell phone, ...
2) A flat cylinder, say 5.5" ID x 1" inside height. For my wallet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom