Which One?`

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teamheatwave

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Looking to buy one for an upcoming trip. Models considered: Suunto Cobra, Aeris AI, Sherwood Wisdom or Ocanic Pro Plus 2. All are about the same price range. I'd like to hear from people who actually own or dive with them. What you like or hate about them. Any problems? Thanks!

The Aeris, Sherwood and Oceanic are all pretty much the same thing with different cosmetics. They are all made by the same company, Pelagic Instruments. Go to their respective websites, download the manuals and compare. The Cobra is distinctly different. It will give shorter no-stop times on repettive dives. It is also nice and small. I can't say that there is a right answer to your question. When combined, the various Pelagic computers are the most popular in North America and the Caribbean. In the rest of the world it is Suunto. Popularity does not matter per se, but there is no available information showing divers are getting bent more often because of their brand of computer. You will find users of all of these who love them, and a few that hate them.

Personally, I use a wrist mount Aladin and a separate SPG. That combination costs less than an AI computer, by the way.

I too thought the Aeris, Sherwood & Oceanic were similar. But sometimes there may be a slight variation that makes it either really good or really bad. I did check out the specs and look at the manuals but thought that some of the more technical visitors are familair with something I overlooked.

Originally I had wanted to purchase either the Aeris Atmos Elite or the Oceanic VT Pro but despite the ads showing a Dec. 2002 release date, they still aren't available. In fact, after talking to them at a scuba expo last month they promised they would be fulfilling ALL orders that coming week. Three weeks later I am still waiting and since I am out of time, I had to cancel my order.

I like the Suunto Vytec but can't justify the pricetag on it. For the cost of a Vytec I can buy one of the above mentioned computers AND a new BC.

You might want to check prices on some of the wrist mount units and an SPG. For example, an Atmos 2 is $249 and an SPG is about $65, at leisurepro. The AI computers run about $500 to $550. IMO, an analog SPG is easier to read. There are times when depth must be monitored closely, but air is ususally a once in 5 minutes thing, so separate locations for this info are not problematic. If you look around, there is a lot of support here for wrist mounted instruments.

I must admit the VT Pro and Aeris Elite do have a vaporware problem.

I'm not too happy with my Aeris Atmos Pro computer it crashed on me during a dive after only 5 dives logged with it. I'll be looking to up grade in the near future most likely to Suunto.

and the only drawback are the numbers are a bit too small to read at depth. The Oceanic ai seems to have BIGGER numbers but I have never dove with one. It looks sweet, but I do love my Cobra!

I have an Aeris Atmos AI.

It works really great and the numbers are nice and big...easy to read...it also seems to be more liberal than other computers....

I have the compass and quick disconnect with mine...

The Sherwood Wisdom looks very similar and I might have got that one if it were available just because of the arrangement of the compass (on the end vs. the side like on the Aeris).

Marcus

I'll add my two cents worth to the computer dilema. If you dive frequently I don't think any of them will last. If you are a vacation diver then most of them will most likely last you beyond the warranty periods. I live on Maui and dive about 3 times a week. I had the older air integrated Oceanic Data Max Pro. I have gone through nine of them. I must say Oceanic replaced them every time but who needs it. They all failed in the same way, parts of the LED screen data faded out. That model is no longer made. I decided not to buy any products made by Pelagic Instruments so I bought a Suuno Cobra. It crapped out last weekend on a 90 foot dive after only 3 months. It showed 75 feet at 90 feet and fed me data that was for a depth of 75 feet. It was off by 15 feet at all depths. If I had paid attention to it I would have gone into deco. I bought it online from LeisurePro for around $500. which is $300. to $400. less than the dive shops. LeisurePro has their own warranty which is basically the same as the manufacturers. Lets see how long the turn around time is to get it or a replacement one back?

In hindsight my honest opinion is if you dive a lot then buy two non air integrated computers and a standard SPG in a rubber boot (with compass). When one of the computers craps out you have a second one until the other is repaired/replaced. There is no relying on a depth gauge or any down time. You just keep on diving. Of course if you have the big bucks buy two air integrated computers.

I dove on a borrowed Cobra in Oahu a couple of weeks ago. As NetDoc said, it is a great computer, but somewhat difficult to read at depth. I did not have as much trouble with the numbers as I did the ascent scale. Also, the buttons are a bit difficult to push both on land and at depth with gloves.

I'm hoping to test out a Wisdom in about a month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom