Rain, rain, go away!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DMJulie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, so living in paradise is not so fantastic this weekend. Dive sites on Kauai are brown and this storm is trashing the dive sites with debri and who knows what else.
Let's all think good thoughts and say some prayers, that this weather will go away and we can get back in the water sooner rather than later.

Happy Diving......hopefully soon.

I just heard a tornado warning for Kauai'i... It says to run!!! (of course don't act on my post please)

It's been reasonably ok here on South Maui the past 2 days.. but 3 days ago it rained all day and night!

Sean

We had some cool thunder in North Kihei on Thursday, too... it was shaking the house! :D

Storms are great. The sands have shifted at Koloa Landing. Get down there and see if you can find anymore bottles.

Aloha, Busdiver! I will be down there as soon as I can! Can't wait to find more buried treasure :O).

KrisB - wasn't that thunder and lightning cool? Can't remember the last time I heard such loud thunder...

We've had non-stop rain pretty much since Wednesday and some big south swells that brought in a lot (A LOT!!!) of debris to one of our dive sites. But, thanks to AquamanKauai (check out this link Aquatic Adventures), we got a clean-up organized in no time and raked/shoveled/hauled it all out. Nearly a dozen folks from several of the Poipu dive shops got together to make it happen and we used the Aquatic Adventures trucks to haul out seven loads of trash and debris from the ocean.

It was really cool that instructors from competing dive shops all worked together to get one of our favorite dive sites cleaned up and ready to dive once the rain actually stops. Just goes to show that most of us love diving more than we love competing against each other! I am super stoked about that.

Even though the rain continues at this point, I am optimistic that the dive sites will clear up pretty quickly once the rain actually stops. So for folks coming to Kauai to dive, don't worry, there is still hope! Check in with us to see how conditions are improving.

I just got this e-mail last night from a new friend I meet in our OW cert class this past summer:

Me, I am sitting in the Maui Airport, finishing off a wonderful week of R &R. I was scheduled to do two dives this week, but the weather crapped out on the second one and so I will have to hit the Molokini Crater and Turtle Town next time.

On my first dive, I went to the island of Lanai. (I understand a round of golf on that island costs something like $360). It was a two hour boat ride out and back. I was hoping to kill two birds with one stone and see whales on the way. We saw a few blow holes, but none of them breached.

Lanai was really neat. One site is called Cathedral and it felt a bit like cave diving to me. You enter this small portal (with lava rock overhead) into a little cavern. The good news is, it was easy getting in and out. But it was really neat. Would highly recommend it, John, when you guys come. The water is usually calm to and around Lanai, but gets rougher as the day goes on. I took my Bonine, though, and felt fine. (motion sickness stuff).

Was disappointed I could not go on the second dive, however, when the bow of the boat went under water three times just getting out of the harbor, they decided to give up. It actually rained pretty much all day. I went through the Maui Dive Shop for my dives. They like to do group diving, putting 4-6 people with a master diver (they group according to skill). So, John, if you would rather "buddy dive" off a boat, don't choose Maui Dive Shop.

Kona report.... Thursday was soaking wet and nasty swell from the south.... Friday was pretty dry as far as rain goes but nasty surf coming from straight west had us deciding to cancel.... Saturday was gorgeous weather, pretty choppy but diveable water conditions in the morning improving as the day went on.... 6:30 am today we've got rain down in south Kona, I'm hoping it's better up Kailua was as we have a charter.

Yucky weather in general, but we've lucked out compared to the other islands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom