Apeks Quantum/Nitek Duo vs. Aladdin TEC2G

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pao

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello!
I am about to get my first dive computer as a Christmas gift for myself (Hehehe...). My choice came down to the TEC2G and the Quantum/Nitek. They both have big displays, 2 gas capability, visual N2/O2 loading indicators and user replaceable batteries. The Aladdin's service center is in Hongkong so warranty shipping fees are not that expensive. What I would like to ask are the FF: 1) Where do you send the Apeks/Nitek for RMA/Repair, 2) Anybody use these computers and do they have any quirks? 3) Any problems with these computers? 4) How do their algorithms differ? 5) Are the Archimede2 and TUSA IQ700 available locally and 5) Lastly (Whew!) How do the Quantum/Nitek/Arcimede and IQ700 differ?

Thanks in Advance,
Richard:biggrin:

With APEKS and/or HOLLIS you can never go wrong. Buy the Rolls Royces......everything else is a Yugo! Service center is CAPT' Greggs for APEKS.

The Seiko based computer (Nitek Duo IQ etc) is a fine choice. They are reliable, I have 2. As for service, I'm not sure what they can really do on them. If you open one up I doubt you'll find much that can be serviced. The mfg will swap some parts, probably all of them and ship it back. I don't think the warranties last all that long. The main quirk is in non-air mode the computer resets to 100% O2 after 24 hours. It's real annoying the first time you forget and hit 7M and it starts beeping that you have violated it. On the other hand you never forget after that :) I guess the other thing I have encountered has been getting the gas switch engaged, I have to push the button a couple of times on occasion. If you're busy with your gas switch, running a fast ascent on deco and managing something else, it's one more little task to annoy you. Overall I like it a lot, I used to use Suunto and I would not go back.

Thanks everyone. The Apeks promises more bang for the buck. People only have nice things to say even in the "other" scuba forum here in the Philippines.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom