Boot mounted Computer help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harley1962

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
If anybody can offer some advice I'd be really grateful!
I have a customer with a 15 year-old US Divers "Matrix" computer (small pod mounted in a console) and it has seen it's "last dive", I am afraid. She just arrived for a 5 days dive vacation and doesn't want to use a rental computer. She is going on a LOB to Komodo in 6 days.

She is determined to have a similar sized computer that will fit into her console, but I am unsure as to what models would fit perfectly, and living on an Island I am limited somewhat in terms of what can be found.
However, if there is a "normal" computer size that will most likely fit into her console I can try to find one locally or order from a Dealer and have it sent here.

I assume (but am not sure) that the Pelagic (Oceanic, Aeris) would all offer similar sized computers (with or without EANx capability) but I don't know what models are available from each Manufacturer.

Basically, what it boils down to is:
DO ALL "hockey puck" modules have the SAME dimensions in that they are all going to fit into the same boot/console (not fitting too loosely that it falls out, nor to tightly that it tears the rubber console)....

Sorry to be so specific about fit, but she doesn't want a wrist comp. so I am asking for your collective help!
Thanks in advance.
HB

Last edited:
Oceanic, Aeris, Sherwood are all made by Pelagic so would use similar casing sizes, but NOT all "puck" type computers are the same dimensions, Mares, Scubapro, Beuchat and others all use varying casing sizes on the differant models.

Perhaps you could supply some dimensions dia and depth of the unit, off the top of my head I cant recall the Matrix dimensions, but am pretty sure it was not made by Pelagic (it may have been Uwatec) so its unlikely a Pelagic model will fit without some modification to the console, a spacer, or perhaps not at all.

I think its going to be a tall order.!

Sell her a wrist mount. She can keep the matrix for "sentimental reasons". Seriously though. I've seen the old matrixes and while similar to the Pelagic lines there are some differences in height and button placement but diameter wise they are close. Oceanics used to come with a shim to set the unit properly in some consoles. Don't know if this is still the case. I've had my veo for close to 5 years now and it's been in a wrist mount from oceanic for 4 of those. Why is she so insistent on a console? Point out the benefits of wrist mounting and perhaps let her try one with just an spg on the hose. She may like it.

Back
Top Bottom