Inoculations for Flores/Rinca

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know a woman who went to Flores and caught Malaria

See your physician about taking anti-malarial medication and take precautions against mosquitoes. Check with your Indonesia dive operators as to the risk of Malaria.

Always make sure your Tetanus booster is up to date. Typhoid is a worthwhile vaccine to get.

hepatitis A vaccine would be highly advisable along with malarone for malaria protection,,,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

Good Point, Hepatitis A is the type that is primarily food and waterborne. Hep B is the type you can from unprotected sex and blood transfusions etc. There are long lasting vaccines for both, but they both require a series of two or three shots for full protection, but even if you only get the beginning shots before the trip it is better than nothing and you can finish up when you return home

Rabies is a constant problem in Flores but I wouldn't advise to get the rabies shots, just stay clear of dogs.. but hopefully you'll spend quite some time underwater which makes it easy.... :wink:

I agree with Alan's post re the malaria issue, as it is rainy season at the moment there is quite some mosquitoes around, so it's better to be prepared..

I met someone who caught malaria in Flores as well. I didn't take medicine though... I was only there for about a week... Not worth the side effects... I did use a lot of repellent, and netting though... I was more careful.. Long Pants at Night is a good Idea.

I picked up some Malaria tabs at $80 bucks a course. So my question for all my fellow Scuba Boarders who live in more enlightened nations with national health care -- are your malaria tabs covered?

I mean $80 bucks is better than getting sick, but I was shocked at the price. I'm also surprise my insurance didn't cover it as I generally have a pretty sweet corporate-sponsored health insurer and if I did get sick I'd rack up a huge bill for them.

So, what does a course of Malaria tabs cost in say Canada or France or the UK or even in Indonesia?

I got the Malarone (atovaquone and proguanil HCI) tabs.

cost, interesting question. no idea what it costs in Indonesia. I have never considered taking them even though i live here. Most other meds are quite cheap when you buy them at a local pharmacy (especially when compared to the west) but have never inquired about malarone. If its like most other medicines, it should be cheaper than the west

I'm probably over-reacting with the Malarone, but I figured it could be risky doing some of day hikes in Rinca or Flores.

Is the Python Cave worth it?

Back
Top Bottom