What sites to dive in Bali & Lombok?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcollins

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We are planning a trip to Bali & Lombok Jan. 31 - Feb. 15. We will be in Bali for 7 nights, Lombok for 5. This will be our first trip to this area, and unfortunately, since we live in Canada, possibly our only trip in this lifetime......

We have dived a lot in Cozumel and some in Jamaica. 0ur favourite things to see are the life over the corals, and we would love to see some mantas or other life that can only be found in this area, but I've heard the USS Liberty wreck is a must see also..What we would like to know is twofold. First, what particular SITES are the best to go in our limited time. And second, what dive operations should we use? We are going to pre-set resorts, but it seems the islands themselves are pretty small, so where we stay shouldn't make much difference..or does it?

I live on Maui which I consider to be fairly small but I found Bali to be much larger. The good diving is on the northeast coast at Nusa Penida, Padang Bai, and Tulamben. They also have some shore dives/near-shore boat dives on the north coast and an awesome island called Menjangan on the northwest tip. It takes a good 2 hours to get to Padang Bai and 3 to get to Tulamben from Denpasar. Since you have already arranged accomodations you may end up doing lots of driving to go diving unless you dive the south which is not considered the best diving for Bali. There are a lot of dive shops that can arrange diving for you. Just google "dive bali" and you should find a lot of them. Most will be very happy to provide you with information via email so try sending them some info requests!

As for Lombok, I have no idea :)

Safe diving!

Sean

Hi jcollins,
Bali is quite a large island.
I would say it depends on what you want to see. Feb is probably not a good season for Manta, but if you want to try your luck, you can go to Manta Point in Nusa Penida. However, those dive sites around Nusa Penida I won't recomend for relax or easy diving. Since there are often strong currents and up-down currents, also, it's not the season for Mola-mola, the sunfish that most people are seeking when they dive in Bali.
It's also tend to have the coolest water in Bali but I'm sure it's not a problem to you. The thermocline is quite a reputable thing to look out for.

If you are into reef live and corals, Manjangan is probably is good place for you. It has healthy coral, good visibility and beautiful underwater colors.
The setback, it is located in north of Bali and quite an isolated area, it takes three hours to reach there from airport. If you have the time, it's a nice place.
Around the area, there is a fascinating dive sites that is probably the most unique you can find everywhere, but not everyone will like it. It calls Secret Bay, a muck diving. It's average 8 meter diving with no corals, no color, no good visibility and first look: it sucks!
But within there, you can find the most amazing bizzare underwater lives that will keep you busy, the beauty of muck diving.

If it not your cup of tea, I would suggest Tulamben.
Tulamben is a place where you can find the easiest wreck diving from the shore.
Diving from the shore there is quite an experience, it's all volcanic rocks and the sands underwater are black. Liberty is great place to dive, if you love school of jack, napoleon wrasse and you can dawn dive with school of humphead parrotfish. Neighboring sites, you can find macro heaven like Seraya Secret and Drop Off.
When I went there end of October, the visibility was amazing and the water was pleasantly warm.

Puri Jati is also a great dive sites, but it all cater for macro lover, as what you have is black volcanic sand where you look for stuff.

Hope that helps.

Ice

Diver J
Why dont think of the following if you dont have flight tickets to lombok

Land in Bali have a look around for 1 day to get your feet

Then base your self in Sanur
1 day 3 dives Tulamben
1 day 3 dives Nusa Penida
1 day 3 dives Padang Bai area
day 5 gillie cat to lombok Rp 650 000 = about cad$ 70.00
dive around lombok 3 days ( manta dive is good on Gillie T)
back to bali by gillie cat cad$70.00
over night Padang bai
1 day 3 dives again in Tulamben
1 day 2 dives in PJ Puri Jadi
1 day 3 dives menjangan Insland
back to south bali
2 days of free & easy before flight back to canada
Safe Diving

Wow. I knew this would be the place to go for the answers! Thanks a bunch folks!

We were just in Indo in mid October. We went to Nusa Penida and saw the Mola-Mola and the Mantas at Manta point. We decided that Nusa Penida was a two day 4 dive trip max. The thermoclines were very cold (to us) so having a hoodie & thicker wetsuit (we had 3mm) would be a thought. We then went to Bunaken Marine Reserve by Monado and it was fantastic. Well worth the additional travel and the water was very warm. Currents in both location was strong..4 knots+
Make sure you have a sausage and air horn (at least a whistle). The food is very good and cheap!

Last year around this time I did Candi Dasa and Tulamben. Candi Dasa was decent, Tulamben was spectacular. Pay attention where the dive operators are located. Some places are no where near the dive sites and you may spend longer in a van than at sea.

Evenings were a bit slower than we would have liked at both places. Tulamben, in particular, was a ghost town after 7 pm.

Be sure to take two days off from diving to check out Ubud!

Hi jcollins, I stayed on Lombok and Gilli Air last December. If you are staying near Sengigi on Lombok check out Blue Marlin, also look them up on line. Diving off the Gilli islands that are just off Lombok was great! Coral was somewhat damaged I understand largely from el ninio but still lots of life. Lots of Green turtles off Gilli Meno. The Local guides are enthusiastic and eager to point stuff out. My house is also in Canada, but I really like Indonesia and spend a lot of time here. Hope you enjoy your trip.:snorkel:

If you dive Tulamben it pays to stay in the town. I did this and has the wreck all to myself in the mornings. The vans arrive at the same time in kind of a calvary formation. There is no night life there, but it is worth it if you want the best of Tulamben. Actually the night life is the Liberty Wreck. Awesome Night dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom