Do O2 bottles need to be VIPed anually just like SCUBA cylinders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisF

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The dive club at work has a Jumbo D O2 cylinder that hasn't been inspected since it was last hydroed and filled back in 2000. Should an O2 bottle be treated just like a SCUBA cylinder (e.g. annual VIP w/ hydro every 5 years)?

And while we're on the subject, what about maintenance of the Oxygen regulator and demand valve? Is there a prescribed maintenance/cleaning schedule for those things or as long as they seem to be working, do you leave them alone?

The VIP procedure is important because Scuba tanks spend time underwater. Since most (not all) tanks are not filled by Scuba shops, there is usually no need for them to be vip-ped. Scuba shops that fill their own O2 cylinders may require them, but I see no reason for it at all.

I suspected this was the case, but then again it's pure O2 so I wasn't sure if there a need to have them looked at to be sure there was no contamination.

I guess not regularly emersing the O2 cylinder in water must reduce the risk of contamination significantly vs. a SCUBA tank.

Medical Oxygen tanks are visually inspected every time they are refilled. At least in Canada they are, I'm sure the same goes for the USA. The reason for this is simply put "the Lawyers make them do it". Ergo, no vis sticker needed, cause it's just done at every fill.

As for hydro testing, the 5 year rule applies to them, just as it does to any high pressure tank.

Back
Top Bottom