My Datamask review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saltfly

Registered
Reaction score
Over the last month or so some members have asked for my review, but my trips kept getting cancelled. Last week I finally was able to do Cozumel and use the mask for the first time.

The week before that I thought it wise to try it in a pool session, and figure out the buttons and such. That went well, but every 10 minutes or so I would lose the transmitter signal. If I rolled over or changed position, it would come back. I was concerned enough that I brought my old computer with me as a backup. It must have been interference within the pool, because over 10 dives in Coz, as deep as 130 feet, I never lost the linkage once. The hardware and software worked perfectly.

Other miscellaneous observations:

1) When you hold it in your hand, or put it on for the first time, it is heavier and larger than a regular mask. You get over that after the first dive. Haven't given it any thought since then.

2) The fit isn't as good as my usual mask, and I had some leakage from time to time, following a stride entry. At 12 feet I'd notice the seal wasn't right. Could be my face, or the fact that I didn't shave all week.

3) They say interior volume is more, but I had no problem flooding and clearing.

4) Range of vision is fine. I put a magnifier on the right side for camera work.

5) Video work is where it shines. Never a distraction when you are filming. The heads-up display is a natural for this kind of thing. Safety stops too.

6)Only complaint - when you switch tanks, for example, you have to put on the mask to check your PSI (and bend over towards the transmitter). I'm going to add a small button gauge right on the first stage for convenience.

7) Did a great night dive. The brightness of the heads up is easy to adjust downward so you are not blinded. Great feature.

8) I added a teather, in case it is knocked off - losing both the mask and the computer would immediately end the dive.

9) I get asked alot of questions.

That's it. I'm thrilled with it.

Thnx for the info

Tether is a good idea. One thing to loose a $100 mask, another entirely for a $1000 mask...

I was very, very tempted to buy one, but decided to hold off in case they came down in price. Many thanks for the review - really useful.

Rhone, The price actually goes UP after the 31st. They have been on sale since September (I believe) but that sale ends this month. You can pick up a new one for $1195 now, but it jumps to $1495 in 2009.

I am planning on trading mine up to the NEW OC1 (Hoseless wrist w/ built in compass) when they come out this Feb/March. I will sell you mine for $900.

How does the tether work? What did you use, where do you attach on both the mask and your body, suit, ?
I love my Datamask so far but could see my klutzy self :dork2: dropping it in mucho deep water!!!

Thanks

Just an 18" long piece of light line with snaps at either end. One snap to a snorkel retainer on the mask strap, the other to by BC.

I've had my Datamask for just over a year. I like it for vacation/ fun diving, but found it not to be very practical for working with classes. For me any way, it takes 2-3 breaths for me to effectively clear it. I have a low volume mask that I use for classes for this exercise. I also agree with the sizing of the mask. It would be great if they would make a size smaller mask. Other than that, I also love the mask & the info it gives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom