Coldest dive sites in USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What are the coldest water condition dive sites in the continental U.S. in your dive experience???

:coffee:

What are the coldest water condition dive sites in the continental U.S. in your dive experience???
I gotta think we at least make the top 5 in Whittier, Alaska. My last dive there was November 8th, and the air and water temp was +5C.

If we're talking Continental USA - I think New Hampshire/Vermont/Up State NY ice diving is right up there! 0F underwater and topside conditions that make you wonder why you decided to teach this specialty course to someone! :)

X

0F under water? I kinda seriously doubt that as thats -17 celcius and unless youre diving in liquid gas that would pretty much make it solid?

I did lots of ice diving and winter diving in western South Dakota. On one New Years day dive the air temp was -13 F and the wind was about 20 mph for a wind chill of -40 F. The water under freshwater ice usually ranges from 32 to 35 degrees.

Pactola Lake in SD is at about 4000' elevation filled by snow pack runoff and is 150 ft deep, so even in mid August the temps below about 120-130 ft are still only in the 35-39 degree range when the lake is full.

Lake Wazee near Black River Falls WI is a large flooded taconite quarry that is deeper still at 355 ft. Bottom temps below about 60-80 feet are 34 degrees even in mid summer and it is probably the coldest lake on average that I have ever dove in.

It doesnt beat any of those mentioned already, but I have recorded 36 in Lake Michigan

Coastal Maine ....

////

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom